24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44 almost Dead No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 almost Dead No Codes

Ok, I'm beginning to think that dodge forgot to put in the brains portion into my truck.

I have had two LP's die and now my VP44 and the truck still has not produced any error codes. Is this possible?

The short story, bought the truck, changed the black fuel filter, had the fuel pressure tested, it was getting down to 4 psi WOT, so I replaced the LP. Then checked the fuel pressure every 3 months. Just after the warranty was up on the LP it died, reading 0 psi when I tested it, so I know I did some damage to the VP44, so I put in the FASS. Not too long after the FASS install, I started to get hard starts after the truck had warmed up. Almost a year later, after the truck has warmed up it won't start at all. Let it cool off over night and it will start like new. Ordered the VP44 today, and went to AutoZone to see if by chance it threw a code, no luck.

Guess I'm looking for re-assurance that the VP44 is truely on its death bed, and that the truck not throwing codes is normal for the 98.5.

Any thoughts?

I do have an in cab fuel pressure gage now and the FASS is putting out 19 psi, 17 psi WOT.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had 2 VPs go south in my 98.5 with no codes so your not alone
One of them died with its entire life (13 months) being fed large amounts of air less fuel from a FASS system and it still didnt help.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:25 PM

Injector pump failures are common with just one lift pump failure on your model year. The VP-44 is lubricated by fuel and a lift pump failure would deprive the lubrication and cooling provided by the fuel, on your model. As soon as the VP-44 runs dry it begins to cook seals.
On the bright side, it won't happen again with the FASS! Hang in there brother. Be happy you don't have the '99 or '00 model year. They had problems with cracking engine blocks. Congratulations on having the first ISB motor (1998) Reference Diesel Power Magazine April 2006 pages 118-120.
Cheers
Mike
###
Originally Posted by dctoner
Ok, I'm beginning to think that dodge forgot to put in the brains portion into my truck.

I have had two LP's die and now my VP44 and the truck still has not produced any error codes. Is this possible?

The short story, bought the truck, changed the black fuel filter, had the fuel pressure tested, it was getting down to 4 psi WOT, so I replaced the LP. Then checked the fuel pressure every 3 months. Just after the warranty was up on the LP it died, reading 0 psi when I tested it, so I know I did some damage to the VP44, so I put in the FASS. Not too long after the FASS install, I started to get hard starts after the truck had warmed up. Almost a year later, after the truck has warmed up it won't start at all. Let it cool off over night and it will start like new. Ordered the VP44 today, and went to AutoZone to see if by chance it threw a code, no luck.

Guess I'm looking for re-assurance that the VP44 is truely on its death bed, and that the truck not throwing codes is normal for the 98.5.

Any thoughts?

I do have an in cab fuel pressure gage now and the FASS is putting out 19 psi, 17 psi WOT.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by bekim
On the bright side, it won't happen again with the FASS!
###

Dont bet any money you need to feed your family with on that one!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Some code can't be read by the Auto Parts code readers.
The dealer's DRB will show codes that they can't see.

When my VP died last December, I didn't even have a check engine light.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:37 AM

For now the truck is still getting me back and forth to work, I don't dare shut it off, but I will squeeze as many miles out of this IP as possible

Saturday I will be putting in the new VP44.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM

I had the very same problem with one of my 2000 24 valve. I was talking to my friend Hieme at Metro Injection. He told me that what caused that problem is that a main internal pressure pump had worn out and after it heated up a bit could not produce enough pressure to start the engine at a cranking speed. I was starting the truck at the time with Silocone Spray after it warmed up. He told me that it was on it's way to total failure very soon. About 3 months after this it finally failed and when we took the injection pump apart he showed me the ware inside the main pump.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:48 AM

im researching this for my dad, so im a little outta my 3rd gen zone here, but hes havin the same problems...are you saying its the Vp44 or the lift pump goin south? thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 09:15 AM

Yes, my vp44 had one foot in the grave. rockittboy if you dad's truck is starting fine in the mornings and not after the truck warms up I would look at the vp44, If he doesn't have a fuel pressure gauge get one, it is a must for these trucks. it will tell you the condition of your lift pump and fuel filter.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 AM

Ok I know i'm going to get some smart comments about this lol. But, I just bought a 00 24 valve cummins and I already have problems with it. My topic is called "problem solving" if you want to see what its doing. But, I dont know a whole lot about the cummins engines just yet. SO, can someone fill me in on what a VP-44 is and what the FASS is...what do they do. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:08 AM

LP= Lift Pump Stock OEM pump mounted on the side of the engine behind the fuel filter

FASS or FASS II = After market lift pump with or without filters

VP44 = Electronic Injection Pump mounted on the front of the engine.

fuel tank --> LP or FASS or other pump ---> fuel filter (unless you have FASS) ---> VP44/Injection Pump ---> Injectors.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 AM

Thanks DCtoner I appreciate it. There will probably be more dumb questions on the future.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 PM

always better to ask than not know
Old 07-04-2006, 04:51 AM

More Questions

Hi Guys- Still lurking. What is the difference between Holley Blue, FASS & Walbro? Best? With all the Scary ISB 24V talk (let alone '53'), is it better to look for a 12V? I'm looking at a '99 4wd qcab lb 5spd for $10.5 or a '97 4wd std cab lb 5spd for $8500 (lower miles). Ideas?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:11 PM

Can't really comment on the different pumps, I have the FASS and it has been working great for me but I don't put on the miles like a lot of you out there.

This is my first cummins, I was looking for a 12V but found this one in such good shape that I couldn't pass it up, looking back I think I would have rather waited for a 12V. JMO.

Quick Reply: VP44 almost Dead No Codes