24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Uncontrolled Rev

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncontrolled Rev

1999 cummins starts and idles fine until you touch the pedal then it revs uncontrollably until I shut it down. My TPS seems to be sending the right voltage across its full motion no drops or spikes. It is reading low at idle about .260 VDC. It isn't throwing any trouble codes. Any help is great thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Here's some troubleshooting info from Blue Chip Diesel:

RPM GOES UP ON ITS OWN, OR WAIT TO START LIGHT IS DUMB, OR THE SUPPLY VOLTAGE TO THE APPS AND MAP SENSORS IS ERRATIC OR OUT OF RANGE, OR YOU HAVE DELAYED 12V POWER TO THE LIFT PUMP AND INJECTION PUMP, OR YOU HAVE A 606 CODE

A few callers have remarked that the RPM goes up on its own, typically above idle, so we have them check that the voltage on the blue with a black tracer signal wire (on Dodges) coming from the APPS, doesn’t go up when the RPM goes up, which confirms it is NOT the APPS. Do the same test if the engine tries to run away as soon as you step on the throttle. No it won't blow up. This test is described under “Dead Pedal” above. If the idle speed goes up on its own, or the RPM runs away when revving up off idle, AND you have a GOOD APPS, then you do have a bad ECM. If it revs up on its own from an idle, you can also do the “No Start” test three, and if it idles smoothly and at the same speed dependably, then it means the ECM is the cause of the problem. If it does it above idle, you'll have to read the APPS signal voltage when driving.

The other strange symptom or indicator of a bad ECM is when the truck won’t start until the wait to start light goes out, or it comes on when driving, or when it shouldn’t.

New for 2012 is a problem where the sensors that get their supply voltage from the ECM are lower or higher than the required 5.0 volts. SOME of the time a bad ECM with any of these symptoms will set a 606 code to make you feel more confident in your diagnosis!

Another new one for the summer of 2012 is delayed start, caused by the ECM delaying the signal voltage to the fuel system relay, which is described in "Hard Start Hot......" above. Do that test and you will know if the ECM is to blame.

These are the only four symptoms that I have seen or heard of, SO FAR, that necessitates replacing or repairing the ECM. The good news is that these unique symptoms have been eliminated every time by repairing or replacing the ECM. You only need one of the symptoms described above to determine that the ECM is bad. The only other way to diagnose an ECM is to try a replacement, if diagnosing a Dodge. It doesn’t seem to matter what transmission, year or engine rating the test ECM comes from, with or without a crank sensor, as long as the above symptoms go away with the borrowed test unit. I have had many callers do it this way, so I feel confident you won’t hurt anything as long as you remember one thing, PLEASE. When installing any ECM, be SURE to ground it to the engine FIRST, before connecting the big plug. This prevents any problem from static electricity or a voltage spike getting into the ECM which can blow away the software and or computer inside. Yes the test ECM may set codes, but if it doesn’t have the above symptoms any more, then you know a replacement or repaired ECM is in your future. I don’t have any experience with Ford or Freightliner ECMs, which may indicate they are better quality, but they are very different and not interchangeable with Dodges as they have twice the number of wires going into them.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM

maybe try unplugging the edge for a few hours. I have had a similar problem once and I unplugged everything that had to do with the edge (overnight) and plugged it in the next day and haven't had a problem since
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info guys I thought it might be the ECM I did a reset by disconnecting the battery for an hour and that seemed to clear the problem for now