24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck....gauges....lift pump....enigne....hiccup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Truck....gauges....lift pump....enigne....hiccup?

Well I took a trip up to the mountains yesturday to go snowboardin. And I noticed some things. Good or Bad? Driving through the mountains my tranny temp wasn't even reading. That can't be. I went through the tunnel at the pass and went down hill the other side, and about half way down I noticed my EGTs were reading at 200 deg. That can't be right, when my truck idles at 300 deg. I looked out my passenger side mirror and noticed my truck was smoken like I had just started it. Then when I went on the throttle it sounded like the truck was boggin down ready to die for like 2 seconds before it woke up. I was worried it was the lift pump taken a crap on me. It did that the whole way down. Then I noticed sitting at a stop sign waiting for people to cross my EGTs were going up, to 600. It did the same thing on my way home as well. But this time my tranny temp read at like 120, then slowly down to 115, then down to 100. Which is odd seeing how I am working the truck through the mountains. I don't know what is going on. And today driving to work everything SEEMED to be normal. The EGTs were doing the same thing, and the tranny gauge was reading better than last time. But still not normal. I have never noticed this stuff happening before. my brother said it might have just been a hiccup. Is something wrong with my truck? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Banned

I would get a fuel pressure guage in that truck if a pillar is full put one on steering column with pod autometer makes. That sounds strange truck running funny and trans temp guage not working I cant see how those two relate
Old 01-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like something electrical to me.

Check your battery connections, make sure they are clean and contacting good.
Check all ground points, again make sure they are clean and contacting good.

phox
Old 01-08-2005, 09:39 PM

I don't know about the guage issues, but the pyro and smoke are pretty much normal. When you are decending a hill, the pump senses the rpm and doesn't put much fuel into the cylinders. The engine is still turning at a fair amount of RPM. Therefore you won't see much in the way of egt. The white smoke is because you are not working the engine, the cylinder temp(s) went way down. That is the same thing that will happen if you let the truck idle at a low rpm in the cold too. I drove a 290 Cummins that would do the same thing. At the bottom of a mountain, the white smoke was terrible and I could count to five before the engine came to life. Never did find out why.
Tom
Old 01-08-2005, 11:39 PM

Sounds like a grounding problem for the other gauges but as far as the pyro goes I agree with the other guy. I used to drive dumptrucks for time(the old stinky ones) and I had that problem as well with the egts going down, then heating up as I put my foot through the florboards(literally ) Our older multifuel military trucks(yes they are still around ) do the same thing but the turbo makes wird sounds right before you step on the throttle. I'd be checking the grounds all over. Many a vehicle burps have been fixed by cleaning the grounding points.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will poke around in the mornin and see what I up. I was just worried something might be wrong. But I will be addin a fuel pressure gauge here in the near future. Thanks again, glad to know it isn't somethin serious.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:05 PM

While your at it, you might as well check for codes with the turn key to on and off twice then on and see if any thing comes up on your odometer.
Don't cost any thing