24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck acting any help would be great.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck acting any help would be great.

1st I want to wish everyone a happy new year. Hope everyone had a good safe one.

Ive not posted in awhile.

Ive got a 99 2500 4x4 dodge with the 24v (which I guess is a given )

I let my truck sit for 8 days becasue we used the wifes van to transport the kiddos to all are holiday stuff.

I started the truck and let it run for 20 mins before I drove it to get a few things. I drove the truck around 20 miles and then stopped at a buddys to shoot the breeze for about 40 mins( which isnt hard is it guys).

I left his place and with in a half mile the truck started running oddly. The rpms wouldnt go above 1000 rpm. Even when i put it in netrual and put the pedal to the floor. I pulled over and shut the truck down. When I fired it back up it ran fine. Like it has for the last 30k. I replaced the vp44 and the lift pump back then. When I got home I replaced the fuel filter which was nasty. I just replaced the fuel filter late in the spring when I changed the oil.

This morning I started the truck and let it warm up as I always do. I drove the truck about 3 miles and when i went over some rail road tracks it happened again. Loss power and wouldnt go over 1000 rpm. I pulled over and shut it down to fire it right back up and ran fine. I meet my brother for lunch at a fast foot place and left the truck run. When I left i went about 3 miles and it happened again. I pulled over shut it down and fired it right back up. It ran fine.

I need this truck to depend on this truck tomm as its my plow truck.

Thanks
Rick
Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 PM

any codes ? to me it sounds like some wire's are rubbed through and when you go over bumps they touch something they are not supposed to.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:24 PM

I wont have access to to a scanner till tomm after 9 am. I was hoping to narrow it down today. I need to be plowing at 4 am. Any clue which wires they could be.

I forgot to say the the truck has 220k on it.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sounds like dead peddle, check for code 0216....if so u will need a new vp...change it out before it goes so u dont get stranded.of course it can be other things like apps, but imo typical dying vp sign.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:34 PM

I hoping its not another vp after only 30 k and less then 2 years but that is my luck . If they go they qucik I may want to buy 2 and keep it one hand.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:45 PM

i havent tried on mine but wont turning the key on and off 3 times display codes on the odometer display ?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM

i just tired it on mine and it didnt work.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
key trick not good on our 99s.
Hope it's not the VP but I have had 3 go in less than 170000.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 PM

About a month ago I was having the same types of problems when I was running around town. At first we thought that my fuel was just gelling up as it was sub zero degrees outside but that wasn't the case. I pulled my codes and there it was, the infamous P0216 code. I replaced my vp and everything is all better now. Hope that you get it figured out and it is something cheap and easy.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM

The codes I got where as fallows

1698 x2
0216 x2
380 x2

looks like 2 injections pumps in less then 2 years. Ive already started looking at trucks. Just wish I could afford to replace this one.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM

what you have feeding the vp44?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:11 PM

A couple of things jump out here.

Do you have a fuel pressure guage?

Have you upgraded the lift pump?

If you are going to use one of these trucks for business, youve GOT to do some minor preventative maintenance.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:48 PM

the transfer pump was replaced when I replaced the vp44 april 07. I just used the stock replacement.

Ive heard of relocating the pump to the fuel tank but thats about a $500. The dodge diesel tech I spoke with said putting a bigger transfer pump wont help if I dont have any upgrades.

I do alot of prevent maintance on the truck. The fuel pressure is fine. I tested it. I also did a volume test to and its plenty. I do not have a gauge yet.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rickbays
the transfer pump was replaced when I replaced the vp44 april 07. I just used the stock replacement.

Ive heard of relocating the pump to the fuel tank but thats about a $500. The dodge diesel tech I spoke with said putting a bigger transfer pump wont help if I dont have any upgrades.

I do alot of prevent maintance on the truck. The fuel pressure is fine. I tested it. I also did a volume test to and its plenty. I do not have a gauge yet.
Do NOT put the pump in the tank. Some may disagree, but its a waste of money, IMO. Rick, the best fix for the lift pump problem is an Airdog or FASS (the one with the filters).

The reason you need a gauge in the cab is because you need to know what the fuel pressure is at cruise and wide open throttle. The fuel pressure reading at idle doesnt tell you anything. The same cab be said for the "volume test" which was implemented by DC to get out of replacing marginal to less than marginal lift pumps.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW I've been around the in tank pumps since they came out and have not seen ONE failure to date.

....had one sent to me by an independant shop for warranty and it ended up being a wiring issue (corroded ground circuit). Repaired that and it was fine.

For a plow truck I think I'd NOT want an aftermarket pump hanging on my frame rail. I'd rather just put a stock replacement piece on at the original location IF needed......and to me it so far sounds like it doesn't.

Quick Reply: Truck acting any help would be great.