24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny flush observations

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny flush observations

Had my tranny rebuilt about a month ago, rebuilder went with dextron and added lubguard, he claimed thats what they do with all the trannys they do, and they have not experienced any issues. since then I've done some research and have found its not a fluid/band issue, as the oil will work fine. but more of a oil break down issue, I'll try to find the links again to post that. IIRC the dextron with the additive brings the dextron up to a ATF +2 standard, and it (dextron) looses its thermal stability something like 40% sooner.
any how back on topic. I wanted to flush all the old oil out, so I dropped the pan, replaced the filter/gasket& oil. I then unhooked the cooler line at the cooler put one end in a 4 liter bucket, filled the tranny with 7 liters of ATF+4. I then fired up the truck and waited till it started pumping oil out. My tranny has the transgo shift kit which allows oiling in Park. I ran the engine, yet nothing came out I shut it off after 30sec or so, crawled back under the truck and traced the lines to confirm I had unhooked the one closest to the engine, I had. started to wonder if maybe I had a blocked cooler. I re-fired the truck and it likely took 30-60sec before it started pumping oil, once it started it pumped out a gallon of oil in about 10-15sec. I have not yet found a path of flow for the TC but I'm hoping the oil leaves the converter and is pumped thru the coolers then back to the pan, otherwise I just pumped the new oil from the pan, straight into the wastebin and the TC is still full of dextron.
**Edit**
Found one of the links it starts 1/2 way down the page, rather interesting:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html