24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

In-Tank Fuel Pump.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scook6
I sent my truck to dealer yesterday as it is approaching 100,000 mi. had him check over LP and IP. Called me later in the afternoon said LP was going south and was going to cost me almost $600.00 to replace LP with the new setup. I said isn't that covered by the warranty? He said no and got very angry when I said that it was. Had to end up calling Chrysler and as odd as this seems the lady on the other end was very nice and got the work done under warranty. She called the service manager herself and took care of this. Have not gotten the truck back yet. So I'll see how the truck does when it gets back. One thing does anyone know what is the normal pressure on these new units? The readings seem to be all over the map.

2002 2500 Quad Cab 4X4
.....if you run the "new" retro kit number it shows as "NOT A COVERED ITEM" on the computer. You have to run the old part number, get that operations code, and jump through some other small hoops to make the claim a covered item. We had some issues with the first few I did.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
EXACTLY....the worst thing is the new "fix", from what Ive seen, is still a peice of crap. To spend $500+ on it is nuts, when you can get a quality product like a FASS (not to mention the 4 year warranty) for the same $$ or less.
So my question is what do you and mopar1973man base your comments on?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:50 PM

My issue with the Fass, Holley blue, etc....is where it is mounted. While it would lead a relatively easy life here in norust arizona, there is NO WAY I would mount anything of that nature where it would be exposed to the elements (read road salt states). Whether it's DC, Cummins, or aftermarket I would prefer the pump to be in the tank. I've thought for years that would be the ideal location. While it's true that IF it does fail, you have to go through the trials of bed lifting or tank lowering, I still feel it's a better location overall. I've done four retro fits on 2nd gens, and probably about 15 on common rail trucks. Jury is still out on reliability, but I'm betting those pumps will work great pushing the fuel rather than pulling.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
So my question is what do you and mopar1973man base your comments on?
Personal experience. Have you actually seen this little beauty?

The thing doesnt put out adequate pressure. Already read about failures with it. Just because its a DC "fix" doesnt mean its a good one, no offence intended J BODY.

I guess, I should have included the tag "IMHO"
Old 12-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned

Personal experience.

The thing doesnt put out adequate pressure. Already read about failures with it. Just because its a DC "fix" doesnt mean its a good one, no offence intended J BODY.
I'am not going to say the intank kit is the end all, cure all, but I think it's too early to make a judgment call.

You say doesn't put out adequate pressure, for what application, stock, modified, 2nd generation, 3rd generation. Long before DC came out with the in-tank fuel pump they were more concerned with flow rates rather than fuel pressure. Pressure and flow rates are not linear. I remember years ago all the talk was if they would put the pumps in the tank it would eliminate alot of the lift pump problems. Now they install them in the tank and right away someone starts condemning them. I personally have only read about one in-tank lift pump problem and if memory serves me right it really had more to do with something else than the pump itself.

Like I said, my personal opinion is it's too early to condemn the in-tank pumps.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:51 AM

My truck seems to run much better then it did before even when the just replaced LP was new. I always had some fluctuations on idle from my tach and those are now gone too. Not sure what to make of that! We'll see but the dealer claims that this is a much better setup than the old LP, and we can debate this until hell freezes over but only time and driving will really tell the story.

2002 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 S/B
Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bluebull
I'am not going to say the intank kit is the end all, cure all, but I think it's too early to make a judgment call.

You say doesn't put out adequate pressure, for what application, stock, modified, 2nd generation, 3rd generation. Long before DC came out with the in-tank fuel pump they were more concerned with flow rates rather than fuel pressure. Pressure and flow rates are not linear. I remember years ago all the talk was if they would put the pumps in the tank it would eliminate alot of the lift pump problems. Now they install them in the tank and right away someone starts condemning them. I personally have only read about one in-tank lift pump problem and if memory serves me right it really had more to do with something else than the pump itself.

Like I said, my personal opinion is it's too early to condemn the in-tank pumps.

Well, I certainly wouldnt put one on my truck. What happens when the new and approved pump dies and the warranty is expired ?? I would guess that the dealer will be more than happy to change it for you for about $600 - and thats $600 each and every time. The conversation at the dealership will go something like this: "Well sir, we have to drop the tank to remove the lift pump - its a big job.....as well, you need a new fuel filter, that will be an extra $50" - sound about right? I will NOT take my truck to a dealer and dropping the tank or lifting the bed is something I want to do ONCE - so, for me, the fix better be a permanent one.

A FASS is guaranteed for 4 YEARS, removes the air from the fuel (which is a major cause of pump wear), increases hp, increases milage, cools the fuel, extends fuel filter life and gives smoother idle and better throttle response. I have my doubts that an in tank pump will do ANY of that.

Like I said, I should have included the tag "IMHO"
Old 12-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Dr. Evil,you my friend hit the nail right on the head,that is the exact sinerio that will happen, Dodge tried to fix thier blunders befor with more blunders, just to keep us going til warrenty is off.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

Dr. Evil,

If the lift pump goes out and I am out of warranty I will replace it with a lift pump from www.summitracing.com wiring harness and all for $130.00 just like I did on my 99 cummins not that expensive F.A.S.S. system.

Like scook6 said," we can debate this until hell freezes over but only time and driving will really tell the story.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:17 PM

increases hp, increases milage, cools the fuel, extends fuel filter life and gives smoother idle and better throttle response. I have my doubts that an in tank pump will do ANY of that.
Kind of wonder how they figure they are able to "increase hp", "cool the fuel", and "extend filter life". Four year warranty sounds nice though.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge Demon
Dr. Evil,you my friend hit the nail right on the head,that is the exact sinerio that will happen, Dodge tried to fix thier blunders befor with more blunders, just to keep us going til warrenty is off.

....biggest "blunder" DC did was not to look at the issues the RV industry was having with the engine mounted lift pump before accepting that fuel system from Cummins. In tank, or back near the tank is the way to fly. I think we can "kind of" agree on that.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:37 PM

Yeah and by that time someone will make a new and improved super pump that will retro right in the tank. I have spent a fair amount of time reading people's opinions on this forum and the vast majority all seem to concur that a pump that pushes is better than one that pulls. Dr. Evil my opinion is just that my opinon, and I am in no way saying that if your way works for you that is fine too. Thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 02:17 PM

truck is at the dealer right now.

they called a little while ago and said i have a bad lift pump that is NOT COVERED under warranty. i have 87,000 miles. should it be covered? they want $926 for the intank pump. i dont even know what to say. any advice? thanks Darrin
Old 12-20-2005, 02:46 PM

The intank kit cost me only $450, so they are wanting $500 just for installation.
It was not a hard installation. The installation instructions have some extra steps that can be skipped, like dropping the starter and removing one of the wheels I did not do either of these.
If the tank is empty, it is very lightweight and can be easily dropped down by one person. If you have fuel in it, just syphon it out into some jerry cans or buckets.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:51 PM

You need to call DC give the customer service rep the last digits of your VIN and they will tell you how much warranty is left and tell them your LP is bad and you dealer is being a b----h about it and you need it fixed.

Quick Reply: In-Tank Fuel Pump.