24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

stuck starter and...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stuck starter and...

Well I went over to my buddies house to sit around a fire for a bit so I could take a break from studying and I go to start my truck and the dern starter got stuck. I've had a hard start problem for about a week and I just usually do what I've been doing, try to start the truck once and if it doesnt crank like it should I just let the pump run and then it'll usually just turn right over on the second try. Well I did the same thing, turned the truck off but the dern starter got stuck on. I switched the key back and forth to see if it would turn off, but the truck cranked up about 6 or so seconds later. What the heck is up with that???????

Also the other day while I was tooling around out side I decided that I needed some tunes playing so I switched the key to where just the radio would come on and the lift pump started to run like it would if I had bumped the starter. What in the world is going on????

This sucks a big ol' injector cause I just got my tranny straightened out and now I got not tranny-related problems.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 PM

Probably your starter contacts gone. Like $2 a piece will fix it. Just do it yourself. I have a write up somewhere on kydtr. Ill try and find it for ya.

Eric

On Edit: Here ya go

http://kydtr.com/iboard/index.php?sh...arter+contacts
Old 10-25-2006, 09:22 AM

As you might have guessed, mine did the same thing. What will happen now is your starter will start to make "click" noise when you turn the key and start after messing with it for a while and eventually it will leave you sitting. BTW....not fun pulling the starter at 10pm in a muddy dirt parking lot with no light. It happened to be that I had ordered the bigger contacts and new plunger but they had not got here yet. So, i found an old piece of copper tube and flattened it out with a hammer, cut it to length, bent it 90 deg. drilled some holes, cut and filed a radius to go around the middle contact and after cleaning everything else up inside the starter, put it back together and put it back in the truck and no more problems. Trust me, just go fostertruck.com and get the bigger ones, change them and get it over with.

Adam
Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

Starter cylinoid locking up.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:20 AM

Thanks guys.

So do I need new contacts or a solonoid?

Any body got a clue as to why my LP would run when the key is turned all the way back?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:23 AM

Contacts get my vote, very easy to change.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:15 PM

The solenoid is rebuildable, the contacts are inside. You'll probably find that when you open up the solenoid only one of the contacts will be worn out. Are you driving you truck to Jax this weekend?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by GatorRam
The solenoid is rebuildable, the contacts are inside. You'll probably find that when you open up the solenoid only one of the contacts will be worn out. Are you driving you truck to Jax this weekend?
Deffinitely not. Although I'd like to, but I don't wanna risk it with the way its been acting.