24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Straight from the horse's mouth...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah im headed to branson for a all night run to pick up a car fri night and be back hopefully for a 10 hour turn around.

just email me when you want- i work 12 hour days 5 days a week, and most of the time i dont get a chance to return phone calls till the weekend-

email me, dont order a SINGLE part till we talk

BW
Old 01-15-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Mechanos

Another thing I noticed was a yellow sticker on the top rear of the VP44 right where the harness plugs into it that reads "VOID". Is that so the dealer can see if the harness has been unplugged from the VP44 possibly indicating that a fueling box was used?

No - as far as I know the VOID sticker means that you have a pierced pump wire and a DC dealer has voided the warranty on your VP44....

Question - what kind of air filter did this truck have??? K&N perhaps??
Old 01-16-2004, 12:04 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The void sticker is there because if it's broken, your warranty is toast. They're in other locations as well, so if you play around with something you're not supposed to, they'll know it and again, your warranty is toast.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dr. Evil
No - as far as I know the VOID sticker means that you have a pierced pump wire and a DC dealer has voided the warranty on your VP44....

No K&N.... just a stocker.... no signs of any mods made... stock exhaust, etc.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
The void sticker is there because if it's broken, your warranty is toast. They're in other locations as well, so if you play around with something you're not supposed to, they'll know it and again, your warranty is toast.
That's what I figured.... so if I add a fuel box, the warranty is over. One end of the VOID sticker is flapping loose, but the other half of the sticker is still stuck down.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:19 AM

Thats quite a bit of oil on that turbo. I dont like seeing that. Should Mechanos be concerned about it? If it where my truck, I would be.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:10 PM

The oil is from a K&N filter. AFE Filters do not do that. (Different oils)

Standard practice for dealers is to remove any aftermarket parts, and sell the truck for more than it was bought/traded for.

You will have to upgrade the tranny if you go over 70HP.

An EZ, Straight Exhaust, and Cold AIr intake, is pushing it...

Give me a call if you want, and we can discuss different options....

Merrick
Old 01-16-2004, 03:12 PM

Another tid bit about the high idle that I forgot to mention in the other post... when I first mentioned turning up the idle when cold, the tech stuck his head in the cab and started fiddling with the cruise control... nothing happened. He went on to explain that the CTD Ram's have two computers... there is the Dodge computer on the passenger side firewall and then there is the Cummins engine computer on the drivers side of the engine. The Cummins computer is fully capable of handling all cruise control, etc. On a non-Dodge truck with a Cummins, if you want higher idle, you turn the cruise control on and hit the set or resume buttons to adjust the idle speed. Dodge doesn't use this part of the Cummins computer and handles cruise separately through the Dodge computer. Thus the need for the flash upgrade of the Dodge computer to ward off SVS (Sticky Valve Syndrome).
Old 01-16-2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil

You almost gave me a heart attack there. I bought my truck with about 15,000 miles on it and noticed the stickers and figured they were there to show tampering with the injection pump. After I read your post I thought maybe the former owner had gotten the warranty voided. I am glad to know this is not the case
Old 01-16-2004, 05:52 PM

The standard commercial ECM that is on the ISB's in commercial trucks has two 50 pin connectors. Dodge built trucks have only one 50 pin connector on the ECM. The Dodge version does not have a lot of the Cummins features, like PTO high idle, Cruise control, and the cruise controlled high idle. There are another 10 or 15 features that the Dodge does not have. One day I would like to reference if the 50 pins used on the Dodge are the same as the 50 on the one plug of the commercial ECM. But the commercial units are set for 2500 and 2600 rpm's only, so you would have check engine codes set all the time. I have read where an owner or two has converted, but know nothing more about it except that I have access to a commercial ECM and it interests me.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:20 PM

Exclamation 2004 OIL FOR HO CUMMINS

I just got off the phone with the Rotella Sales rep in Central Texas. Some very important items to be aware of;
1) 2004 HO Cummins has a CI oil required rating.
2) Rotella Synthetic Blend and the 5-40w Full Synthetic is NOT...I repeat, NOT rated for the 2004 if it calls for the CI rating. This has changed from 2003 models that were CH rated.
Rotella has just completed upgrading the 5-40w Synthetic for the CI rating, but may not be available in your area yet. Make sure you are checking the rating at Wally World or SAMS before you buy the oil. And, the use of a CH rating oil in a CI engine WILL void the warranty.

Oh, My service manual calls for 3500 and 7500 changes. Maybe, they're selling the CALIF engine here in Texas????

Just thought I'd pass this along...I wonder what the Dealer installed at 3800 miles when I had the oil changed. Heck, it took the parts department almost 10 minutes to figure out the part number for the fuel filter..
Old 01-17-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Mechanos
That's what I figured.... so if I add a fuel box, the warranty is over. One end of the VOID sticker is flapping loose, but the other half of the sticker is still stuck down.
Yeah DC dealers can and will void your VP44 warranty for adding a fuel box - that is if your dealer finds out. Some of the fuelling boxes are hard on the VP and can cause failure.....
Old 01-17-2004, 10:07 PM

but if you get a box that doesnt tap the injector wire, and you take the box off before you hit the dealer-

you will be fine
BW
Old 01-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Banned

HEY MECHANOS, YOUR DRIVING HABITS SOUND SIMILIAR TO MINE. GO WITH THE 275 INJECTORS OR WHOEVER'S STAGE 2 YOU WISH TO TRY. GET AN EDGE EZ OR COMPARABLE BOX THAT JUST PLUGS IN. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME IN MY BOOK. I THINK YOU WILL BE QUITE SATISFIED. YOU WILL WANT TO GET YOU A VALVE-BODY JOB & SHIFT KIT FOR YOUR TRANNY. THIS WILL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. IF YOU BUY 275 HP INJECTORS, BEWARE OF WHERE. I HAVE SEEN SOME OUTRAGEOUS PRICES ON THESE FROM DEALERS ON THIS SITE. I ONLY PAID 300 BUCKS FOR MINE INCLUDING NEXT DAY DELIVERY, & YES THEY WERE BRAND NEW.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You want some GREAT owing power? Go with the Mach 1.5 injectors from Don M. 80hp of CLEAN, COOL POWER! That and a simple boost fooler will put you very near your HP goals, with great mileage too!

Why use box when you don't need to?

Quick Reply: Straight from the horse's mouth...