24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

starter replacement or backyard fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter replacement or backyard fix?

I seem to have the a burnt contact on my starter. The symptoms are....."CLICK>......CLICK>.......START!>." MY truck is a 01' HO with about 250k. The dealer says that because of the HO and 6-speed that there is a special starter. $700.00!! He says a SO with a automatic is 1/2 price!! Same starter different box and price or what?
I have seen in my search of this subject that replacing the contacts with larger ones is usually the cure. They last longer too.
And only cost $35.00 Anybody ever done this job. Is it something me and my 15-yr. old can do in the backyard? I figure for $35.00 bucks it's worth a shot and could provide to be educational for the lad........and his old man
Old 06-03-2004, 10:04 AM

I just did mine...got the contacts and plunger from:

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm

And did it in the back yard in about 1 hour.

This article provides some good info about removing the starter ( in addition to the instruction available from Larry B ).

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...es/cps/ckp.htm

Go for it...
Old 06-03-2004, 10:31 AM

go to wwwplugitright.com they have a kit for the starters
Old 06-03-2004, 05:39 PM

i got my repair part s from foster too. it can be a little tight to change-ive done worse though. took me about an hour to change it out -including the new contacts.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:58 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I second the fostertruck contacts- truely good experience on those. I'd go for the complete kit with the contacts and the plunger. About 1 hr of work. (Take care that you disconnect both battery neg. terminals as a first step! If not you can produce lovely sparks and other amusing effects )

AlpineRAM
Old 06-04-2004, 06:52 AM

I thank you and we are going to try. Called Foster and with shipping and everything I still save $650.00 over my local dealer. BTW I should note that my dealer was about (2) twice over what EVERYBODY else wanted. The dealer claimed there was two different starters for the ISB. One for the HO and one for the standard output. Anybody else ever hear this? Or is this a flat out lie? The cost was an extra $200.00 for the HO. I was considering buying my next truck from them but if I find they LIED about something stupid like this............

I WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIARS!!!
Old 06-04-2004, 08:13 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Amish: I think that sometimes the dealers are the ones lied to too. Sometimes things like that happen: (I don't say that it's the case here)
The 'puter lists another part number for the starter for different engines, and even though it's the same part it will look different on the computer. The dealer would order the part and pay the price according to the part number. But if he sold you the same thing for the cheaper version he wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Alsoeven if the starters look the same from the outside they may be different on the inside. So simply to cover his rear he'll sell you what he is told to be the right thing.
With the starter contacts it's like that- the dealer would have to give you a warranty on the repai- including the manpower invested. If he sisassembles the old starter, replaces the contacts, reassembles and puts it in and you have troubles 14 days later you'll come back to him and he'll have to eat the price of a new starter. So they'll have to sell you a new one to have their behinds covered again. If you just buy the contacts the vendor has just to cover the contacts- he hasn't got to warrant all the other parts in there- and your labour is your labour- be it diagnostic or removal-repair etc. Any other parts you need are on your bill too.

Just my 2c
AlpineRAM
Old 06-10-2004, 09:06 PM

Alpine, I see your point. And agree that it is a valid point. I didn't want him to labor on my vehicle just sell me parts. He said it was impossible to just sell me contacts. BTW: my local Cummins dealer said the same.

Anyhow.....my 15yr old was home when UPS showed up with the contacts and plunger from fosterstruck.com and he had the starter removed repaired and replaced in 65 minutes. Not bad for a kid that knew nothing about mechanics other than LEFTY LOOSEY--RIGHTY TIGHTY. And he save his old-man $650.00!!!
Thank you everybody for the super advice and the excellent refferal!!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now don't pay him and it'll just be like doing a warranty job! I'm not sure on the different part between a manual and auto, but I do know that there is a NEW starter, or a REMAN available. Big price diff between those two thats for sure!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:53 PM

I may consider this to be one of those golden moments.
It is not very often when "I" can actually say "I lOVE IT WHEN CHEAP FIX WORKS!!"

SIMPLE TOO!