24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lost power/boost comes and goes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost power/boost comes and goes.

1999 quad cab 4x2 5 spped 133,000 miles no mods except gauges.

new lift pump again and new injector pump 10 days ago. now at times i cannot get more than 10 lbs boost at 3000rpm and have zero power. boost will reapear at times and my last for miles before disappearing again. i have good fuel pressure and exhaust temps at all times. no check engine lights. fuel filter also changed.

another problem is when hitching or disconnecting to a trailer the abs and brake light trip and idle is poor changing 300-400 rpm and speedometer bounces as high as 40 mph. this can all be reset by shutting the truck down and restarting it.

any answers to these problems.

thanks
dan howe
Old 10-19-2004, 09:59 PM
RCW

I will start with the injection problem, and suggest you check your IAT, MAP, and CKS sensors. Each will issue one or more codes when they fail, so get it scanned to save blindly flailing around swapping parts.

If you have no codes, then check the engine to frame, engine to battery, and engine to body grounds. Also do a real careful inspection of the positive battery cable ends, they can corrode and not show it. Same for the main power lug on the power distribution center under the hood.

The hitching and disconnecting problem is likely related to a bad battery cable or connection on the power distribution center.

The speedometer is likely related to a problem with the battery cables.

I am assuming that you have checked the alternator output and it is within specifications, if not that can be the source of the trouble. The alternator is regulated by a 5-8 volt field source provided by the ECM, and when it starts going it will cause voltage fluctuations that will send all the ECM/PCM controlled sensors into a tizzy.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:15 PM

I will clean the terminals and see what happens.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-22-2004, 06:55 PM

TOOK THE TRUCK TO DODGE FOR A COMPUTER CHECK. ONLY CODE FOUND WAS EXCESSIVE BOOST WHICH I WAS TOLD WAS COMMON AND INTERMITTANT ABS SIGNAL. TURNED OUT THE WIRE HARNESS WAS PINCHED BETWEEN THE SWAY BAR AND PARKING BRAKE CABLE. THIS FIXED THE ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT PROBLEM.

THEY ARE INSTALLING ANOTHER NEW INJECTION PUMP NEXT WEEK AS THIS IS THE ONLY THING THEY CAN THINK IS CAUSING THE POWER LOSS. IT HAD GOOD POWER BEFORE THE ORIGINAL PUMP DIED AND POOR 6 DAYS AFTER THE NEW ONE. CLAIMS THERE MUST BE A POOR CONTACT INSIDE THE PUMP. WE'LL SEE.

SHOULD HAVE STUCK WITH A CHEVY. OWNED THIS TRUCK FOR 10 MONTH AND ONLY SPENT $1800.00 IN REPAIRS FOR WHAT SEEMS LIKE THE SAME PROBLEM EVERYONE HAS. THANK GOD IT HAS A 5 SPEED. IF DODGE CONTINUES TO IGNORE THIS PEOPLE WILL NOT REPEAT THE SAME MISTAKE WHEN IT TIME TO MOVE TO ANOTHER RIDE. I KNOW I WON'T

DAN
Old 11-04-2004, 03:36 PM

NEW PUMP INSTALLED 11/1 AND STILL THE SAME PROBLEM. NOW BEEN TOLD MAP SENSOR IS BAD AND BEING REPLACED TODAY. STILL NO CODES IN THE COMPUTER, NEITHER DODGE'S OR CUMMIN'S. SURE HOPE THIS FIXES IT. I WILL KEEP POSTING UPDATES.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:18 PM

WELL, IT APPEARS IT WAS THE MAP SENSOR. TRUCK HAS RUN GREAT ALL DAY WITH GOOD POWER. HOPE IT'S FIXED.

DAN