24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Smarty (and other) Programmers - A Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty (and other) Programmers - A Question

I've got a '99 2500 2WD AUTO running on an ECM originally programmed for a manual tranny. It does start and drive OK...but I've yet to pull any with it and do realize that it really needs the proper ECM programming for the truck to be normal.

I've yet to find a definitive answer on the web forums as to whether the MANUAL TRANNY ECM can be flashed by Dodge to run an AUTO TRANNY truck. The dealership said it would not work...but I'm sure they're wanting to sell me a $1500.00 new ECM.

Regarding the SMARTY PROGRAMMER, can such a device be used to program an ECM? I've heard talk of such, but can't find anyone talking about it on the web. I've left a message with a tech adviser on the Smarty website. I hope to hear back early this week after this holiday weekend.

Any thoughts relative to ECM part number switching/swapping/programming is surely welcomed! Thanks guys!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm no Smarty authority, but when I flash my 2000 manual tranny truck I don't see any menu options where I tell it what tranny it has. I suppose it could be possible the Smarty detects the ECM type and flashes the appropriate version, but I think it's far more likely that it's the same ECM regardless of transmission.

Like I said, I'm not Smarty (or ECM) authority, so I could certainly be wrong.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Midnitefor your help! I am about to get some information from Mopar relative to this ECM/Smarty situation. At that point I will gladly forward that along to you all in the form! Thanks again...appreciate it.

-Tim