24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Silencer Ring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 06:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Silencer Ring?

Hello I am new to the DTR and just starting out with some small bombs. I have been reading some of the threads and signatures, seems like everyone has removed the silencer ring. Well, I removed mine this weekend and was very disappointed. Fuel mileage dropped and didn't seem to have the same power. Sounded good though. I drove with it out for two days and decided to put it back in. When I went to put it back in, I noticed that without the ring there is about a half inch deep cavity around the center inlet to the turbine. In my own opinion, it looks like without the ring the air creates a turbulence trying to get into the turbo. I was just wandering if any of you thought the same thing?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might want to check to see if something else may have come loose while you were removing the ring. The ring does nothing to effect power, only to hush the whine from the incoming air into the turbo.

PISTOL
Old 02-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to check to see if something else may have come loose while you were removing the ring. The ring does nothing to effect power, only to hush the whine from the incoming air into the turbo.
Agreed. A LARGE majority of the members here have removed it with no ill effects. I removed mine and the only change was in the about of noise. I got 18mpg then, I get 18 mpg now.

Is it possible that you were laying a little harder into the GO peddle in order to hear the sound of the turbo? That would be the only reason I could see that you milage would drop. If not, I am curious as to what would cause this.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:32 PM

No change in mileage, just a lot more noise!!! I thought the same thing about the inlet, but it doesn't seem to care!
Tom
Old 03-01-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. I checked everything out last night and everything looks fine. I probably did have my foot in it more than normal and did not realize. One more question if I put in the BHAF with the silencer ring still in will it be about as loud as with the K&N with the silencer gone? Reason I am asking is that I have a little baby girl due here on March 10 and I do not want it to be too loud for her little ears. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deinately louder, but it isn't rediculous. I think you will like it. Not too loud for the baby's ears either. The turbo will probably sing her right to sleep.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:28 AM

I look at as a audibile boost guage... more whine the more boost!

Actually it's not bad at a point you will notice the whine kinda goes away too...(Frequency changed)

I enjoy being without it...

Hey your not suppose to there ?!?!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:21 AM

Removed ours this weekend.
No noticable difference in noise either.
(still running stock airbox)
Old 03-01-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by natebert
Removed ours this weekend.
No noticable difference in noise either.
(still running stock airbox)
Remove the air tube into the fender and you'll hear it better.

If you really want to hear it get a Scotty ][ system.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:17 PM

Iv'e never looked into this before but hear alot about people removing it. I'd try and do a search but im wireless for now. Is it beneficial at all? or just a sound? where is it and what does it look like?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 AM

As for the fender tube...

Remove the airbox from the fender (three thumb screws under the filter).

Pull the plastic tube out... Replace airbox and filter...

My opinion is the the tube sticks out against the fender out skin to close and causes a restiction. The air has to turn a hard 90 degree angle to enter the tube. There has been report on really BOMBed engines that the filter minder has moved to the red (plugged) from WOT running.

A really good reason to start thinking BHAF or Scotty ][ System. From what I've read about it the Scotty ][ is the best route to go...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 AM

Still have mine. I emailed Piers about the effect of removing it,

Here is the email I sent.

"Have a little discuss on the Diesel truck resource form. Someone said that you recommend removing the silencer ring to fix surging.

"yes it can... it allows the MWE slot to do its job better... the old 1st gens surge if you put a tight turbine housing on an H1C, but if you put a slotted housing on them, the surge goes away... on the new 3rd gen trucks, the turbos will huff and puff even with no mods... Piers recomends pulling the silencer ring to aleviate the problem.

Holset has been building turbos for a long time, and they're pretty good at it... the never designed these turbos to be run with a silencer ring, that was dodge's choice and ONLY for sound control.

your mileage may vary.

Forrest"

Your input? I have a 2001.5 auto (4:10's) with Full DTT tranny, Jammer 1's, Comp in EZ mode, Napa 6637 BHAF, HY 35 set to 28 lbs of boost, Banks 4" brake and banks pipes to 4" Magnaflow SS muffler and tail pipe.

Thanks SNOKING"

and he responded.

"That's correct, the silencer ring does not allow enough air to recycle. By removing it, you help the turbo to breath better.

Piers"

SNOKING
Old 03-02-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Mopar1973man
I look at as a audibile boost guage... more whine the more boost!

Actually it's not bad at a point you will notice the whine kinda goes away too...(Frequency changed)

I enjoy being without it...

Hey your not suppose to there ?!?!
thanks