24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Remove cats or straight pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove cats or straight pipe?

My 01 has a stock exhaust system, I am looking to get a little better sound should I remove cat...go strait pipe, I want more sound but not unreasonable sound
Old 11-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Your 01 doesn't have a "Cat".
That's a Resonator.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Your 01 doesn't have a "Cat".
That's a Resonator.
No way !! Are you kidding ? I thought to do same as OP......
Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Some folks that remove both the Resonator & Muffler replaced same with straight pipe and discovered a "Drone" in the exhaust at certain RPMs.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 PM

well my exhaust broke on my truck right before the muffler. it did sound good but after a week it just got unberable. welded the exhuast back up so i would highly suggest maybe going for a turbo back bigger exhuast with some type of muffler on there.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:15 PM

I just did the muffler elimination with a pipe from Geno's. It is much louder than stock. Driving the highway from 65 to 75 there is a drone I think I may take it out. Before eliminating the stock muffler I removed the stock muffler and made three cuts in the bottom with a sawzall and cut the three inch pipe inside into two peices and took them out through the four inch input pipe. Welded the three cuts in the bottom of muffler and reinstalled it. Truck was a bit louder flowed better and you could hear the some turbo and big rig sound.

I drove it like this for about a month and wanted more. I called Geno's ordered the pipe and installed it last Friday. Drove 240 miles to and from deer hunting and there was some times I had become annoyed with this. I may put the muffler back on, I'll drive it a bit more and go from there.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 PM

If it is that loud Ill keep it stock then

Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by sonnys
If it is that loud Ill keep it stock then

Thanks
After awhile it starts to get uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong it sounds great.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Ditch the muff and leave the resonator. Not much louder than stock and flows slightly better.

Dave
Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Where you dump the exhaust makes a big difference in the noise level. Mine broke at the muffler and it was annoying- exhaust was dumping almost right under passengers feet. Put on 4in. system with a "blank" muffler with tailpipe. Now truck sounds real good and the noise level inside cab is very tolerable. Just my opinion. Frank
Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by junkman1946
Where you dump the exhaust makes a big difference in the noise level. Mine broke at the muffler and it was annoying- exhaust was dumping almost right under passengers feet. Put on 4in. system with a "blank" muffler with tailpipe. Now truck sounds real good and the noise level inside cab is very tolerable. Just my opinion. Frank
ya i was running just the resonator and no tail pipe. with a full exhaust im sure its alot better.

im sure you can go with a bigger piping and high flow muffler. have better sound/ power but not too loud.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:26 AM

I have the tail pipe on and out behind the rear wheel. Resonator is still on.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
One thing I've found that helps the drone on the straight pipe is to make sure you put all the hangers back into the system. When I put my 4" straight on, the exhaust shop guys reattached all the hangers to the new system. I only have a slight drone for a range of about 100rpm (around 2300).

But I have had friends do straights without the hangers, or by using flex pipe and the drone was horrible. I'm thinking the drone is directly related to the length of pipe you have with no support. The longer the run, the more aggressive the drone can get as that length of pipe vibrates.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:48 PM

I just pulled my muffler back and left the resonator. Exhaust dumps right on the line where the bed meets the cab. The only reason I didn't pull the resonator also is because it would have put it dumping underneath the cab and the sound resonating would've been ridiculous. It's beastly under load/acceleration but cruising at any constant speed it is as quiet as stock. YMMV (your mileage may vary). The whistle coming from the turbo can be heard through the exhaust now, and it's just downright cool as ****.

Oh, and I noticed a pretty decent change in throttle response. It's not any "faster" but it feels like it accelerates much smoother with less restriction. This is coupled with a BHAF of course.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 PM

I got mine straight piped 4 inches comin out of 6 inch tip and it sounds great and turns lots of heads. Some guys with hemis pull up next to me and think there exhaust is so loud till i rev mine up..... they then stop right after that and roll there dang windows up! Its all about what ure lookin for tho. I love loud exhausts and def dont mind cab drone and my turbo whistling at 65-70. Who needs a radio? You might wanna stick with an aftermarket exhaust kit tho if u want a quiet exhaust. They have a some rumble but arent too loud.

Quick Reply: Remove cats or straight pipe?