24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

this is really starting to bother me

Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you mange to get those #s for pressure? Makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my setup. I've got the FASS system on mine, Edge Juice/Attitude. I don't see anything higher than 16 and when I'm getting on it..maybe down to 10. Does it make a difference with different injectors?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injectors would make no difference and you FP is good. I would not go higher but you could try the 1080 spring if you want higher... will give 18-19 at idle.

Most don't pull down more than 1-2 psi. Is it the full FASS or the HPFP?

RJ
Old 11-08-2006, 01:24 PM

I guess it's just the FASS. Two canisters back by the fuel tank...have to drain the water out once a month or so.....
Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Banned

Your fuel pressure is still in a good range with your FASS at idle, but a 6psi drop under full load is too much. Is your filter due to be changed, could be restricted causing pressure drop, or could be the spring broke, restriction/kink in supply line, or weak pump. Which FASS do you have the 150 or 95gph setup?. Bigger injectors won't change it much, if any at all.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:06 PM

It's the 95. The shop told me around 15K to have them change the filter. I've only got about 8K on this system. They also told me if I have one of these contraptions put on the truck, I'll never have to worry about the fuel delivery again. Hmmm.....cold temps (25 degrees) going to work, all of a sudden 0 pressure. Had the truck towed to the shop..blown fuse on the FASS. They said due to cold temps and low-sulfer fuel were the reasons...
Old 11-08-2006, 02:40 PM

Park your rig, go to a cheap auto parts store, buy a cheap gauge, plumb it, fire it up. If it is low replace it, if it is fine your imagining things (it happens). Technically they did away with the pressure test and now determine if your pump is good or not based on volume but pressure is a pretty good indicator.
And the 1693 code is not a definite failuer. It is a companion code and could mean a lot of things. If you have the 0216 and or 1688 your pretty much SOL.
Get that LP checked though.. Don't be the kind of guy that throws $$$ and parts at something before you really know what is going on!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 PM

They checked the pressure...was good, just like the Edge monitor said it was, after they replaced the blown fuse. They also said that these FASSes have a safety feature that if the thing quits working that it will keep pumping for a while. ??? Had my first LP replaced around 110K..had good #s, same time I had Cobalt guages put in, fp guage kept dieing, then they put a Diprocol?? in it...died too. Finally put the Edge Juice and FASS in it and have had decent pressure except for the drop to 10 when I romp on it. By the way...I'm a gal ;-)

Last edited by drumrunner; 11-08-2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 11-08-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by drumrunner
They checked the pressure...was good, just like the Edge monitor said it was, after they replaced the blown fuse. They also said that these FASSes have a safety feature that if the thing quits working that it will keep pumping for a while. ??? Had my first LP replaced around 110K..had good #s, same time I had Cobalt guages put in, fp guage kept dieing, then they put a Diprocol?? in it...died too. Finally put the Edge Juice in it and have had decent pressure except for the drop to 10 when I romp on it. By the way...I'm a gal ;-)
You got some good advice on here already by TORQUE. One thing i might add would be double check that JWAM (Juice with Additude Monitor) fuel pressure with a mechincal gauge. I have seen these units seem to have a bigger pressure differance @ WOT for some reason. How does the shop have your sending unit attached to the fuel line...and where? I would like to see if this can be duplicated with a mech. gauge.

ALSO you can try the 5 gallon bucket test outlined in my sig. In most cases with a big pressure drop and good idle pressure, its signs of a restriction on the suction side of the pump.

GEZZ....i only wished my wife could tell me what a VP-44 was.....The only thing she knows about diesels is its the name of one of our cats...... o well.....love her anyways!

ALSO....RJ....its the OLD PS-1002 spring for 19-21 PSI....but "A" for effort!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Dan......... that was a typo anyway.... meant 1008 spring... what I have. Is it a different spring for different blocks?

RJ
Old 11-09-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Thanks Dan......... that was a typo anyway.... meant 1008 spring... what I have. Is it a different spring for different blocks?

RJ
Actually the PS-1008 is a 15-16 PSI base spring for the 95 Series FASS. I think we are talking about 150 Series units here......
Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 AM

My bad...went home and looked at the paper work. It's the 150 alright.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 AM

Ok, My fuel pressure issues have been driving me nutz! I had very erratic pressures for about a month. To make a log story short it turned out to be an oversized o-ring on the fleetguard fuel filter that was being crushed. Pressure was there, just erratic.

Fixed that issue, now my pump has another issue. It primes fine when the key turns on but sometimes after start I get "0" pressure! I Shut down and kick the starter to reprime and sometimes after 1 or 2 hits it pumps fine and I start the truck. Once running, no issues except for the fact that sometimes the pressure is 1 or 2 lbs lower at first. But eventually comes back to norm.

I also have the hunt issue on lockup. could this be low voltage related? or is the pump failing? THANK GOD for fuel guages!!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:27 PM

I don't agree that a bad LP will burn up a IP within a few miles. I have changed LP's for others that showed 0psi and pretty sure they had been that way for quite awhile.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RAFTEN
I don't agree that a bad LP will burn up a IP within a few miles. I have changed LP's for others that showed 0psi and pretty sure they had been that way for quite awhile.
you are correct, i drove my truck for many miles before i discovered a bad lp, my only symptom was a stumble on accelleration. and it would not fill the filter canister when i changed filter. i can remember two changes (about 10000 miles) i thought it was normal to have to fill the filter canister after a filter change before starting the engine ....... but then i joined DTR and learned otherwise