24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Radiator hoses and noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:42 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Radiator hoses and noise

I've had some rodent damage on one of the 90deg rubber hoses on my engine, so all the coolant went for a stroll on the highway - since the 90deg bends weren'T available I replaced all the small lines with 16mm radiator hose. I had to remove the hard lines and do a bit of routing for the hoses. I did also replace the hoses to the heater core.
The amazing part of the result is that the engine is a whole lot quieter, especially inside the cab. Most of the hard metallic rasp (very hard to describe) is gone.
I can't exactly tell which hose accounted for the biggest noise reduction, but I assume it's the one from the heater core to the block close to the water pump.

Just thought I'd share this experience

AlpineRAM
Old 09-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
I've had some rodent damage on one of the 90deg rubber hoses on my engine, so all the coolant went for a stroll on the highway - since the 90deg bends weren'T available I replaced all the small lines with 16mm radiator hose. I had to remove the hard lines and do a bit of routing for the hoses. I did also replace the hoses to the heater core.
The amazing part of the result is that the engine is a whole lot quieter, especially inside the cab. Most of the hard metallic rasp (very hard to describe) is gone.
I can't exactly tell which hose accounted for the biggest noise reduction, but I assume it's the one from the heater core to the block close to the water pump.

Just thought I'd share this experience

AlpineRAM
At least you did not burn up your engine. Thanks for the info on reducing noise in the cab. The older I get the less I like the noise. Jim