24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Question about limited slip in reverse??

Old 12-07-2003, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about limited slip in reverse??

Guys while I was backing into my driveway today I noticed that only one tire was spinning as I was hung up on the ice. I do not have 4wd :but I did get the anti spin diff. In reverse is it normal for only one wheel to spin??? I thought the anti spin diff. enables both wheels to spin!! Thanks for any help!!
Old 12-08-2003, 12:29 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Question about limited slip in reverse??

Limited slip differentials work on torque applied. You probably didnt have enough traction to put pressure on the clutchs. And by no means is spinning a single tire OK at any time with a LS. You will smoke it in a hurry! That even goes for putting two different size tires on the back axle. Why manufactures give those mini spares on cars with LS? I dont know. What you should have tried is riding the e-brake. That makes a LS work better under light load situations. Have you changed you differential oil yet? Lots of guys are finding that from the factory their LS's arent working very good but some fresh oil with the right amount of friction modifier gets them working. I had the same problem untill I changed my oil, too.