Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Pusher pump pressure? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/pusher-pump-pressure-81983/)

yamroamer 11-18-2005 03:28 PM

Just ordered a BD pump kit.I`ll let you guys know my before and after idle pressures when its fitted.I intend to run my truck stock but after reading about LP problems,I hope the BD kit will add reliability to the fuel system

CJSamples 11-23-2005 02:24 AM

Please do let us know the before and after of the install pressures. I have 12-14 idle, 8 cruising and 6 WOT. I want to swap over to the pusher but not sure which system to use.
Option 1 - Get the Big line pusher and use a stock LP relocated back to the tank.
Option 2 - Get the Big line pusher and use the BD kit to force fuel into the LP.
Option 3 - Get the Big line pusher and use a holley red to push fuel. (possible hard starting)

I would love to be able to afford the FASS II system but it seems there are other options that would not tie me to buying parts from the FASS people. I have a chance of finding a replacement pump locally if I use the LP relocated or the Holley

Can anyone tell me if the BD system replaces the lines like the Vulcan kit?

Chris

AltavistaLawn 11-23-2005 07:52 AM

More reliability i swhat I'm looking for.

Wil this kit work if the stock lift pump quits?
Thanks.

MKELLY 11-23-2005 08:40 AM

I installed the Holley Pusher Pump setup with larger lines and my fuel pressure is 22 psi @ idle and have never had a hard start issue with this setup and that's 2+ yrs running. All of your options are good choices and way better than any Factory tank replacement setup, thats my 2cents. Good Luck
:D

CJSamples 11-23-2005 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info MKelly, does the holley feed the stock lift pump in your setup? I just want to make sure the factory LP would pass fuel thru it if it died. If I go with the BD kit, would it make sense to also get the larger line kit from Vulcan? I want to make sure I get the most reliable system so I can keep this work horse running strong.

Chris

MKELLY 11-23-2005 07:07 PM

CJ I use the holley to feed the stock mounted lift pump, hoping to extend it's life by not having to pull all the way from the tank. I got the info from John P and Banshee who posted info on this setup awhile back. The Vulcan Kit sounds great from the reviews I've read and it comes complete. When I put my fuel system together the Vulcan kit was not around, I put mine together with -6an aeroquip lines and fitting from Summit. The Vulcan Kit would be much simpler and cheaper. Run a search on pusher pumps for some quality reading :D Good Luck and Happy Thankgiving.

yamroamer 11-24-2005 02:05 PM

Hi just ordered a vulcan big line kit to go with bd pusher will let you know the results when its all fitted.Give me a couple of weeks though it will take 4 or 5 days for the kit to arrive this side of the pond.

CORed 11-24-2005 09:22 PM

BTW, I believe the pusher pump with the kit is a Carter P4600... not the P4601. The 4600 puts out 6-8 or something like that and works well with the existing lift pump. The 4601 puts out 18 supposedly, but I have only ever gotten 14-14.5 maximum in my setup.

I'll definitely consider the P4600 as a pusher if my relocated 4601 bites the dust and re-connect the stock lift pump w/ it. My 4601 currently has 5500 miles on it and still going fine for now.

Steve

yamroamer 11-25-2005 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by CORed
BTW, I believe the pusher pump with the kit is a Carter P4600... not the P4601.
Steve

Just received the BD kit today,not bad going as it was only posted Monday.The pump in my kit is a P4601. [guitar]

CORed 11-25-2005 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by yamroamer
Just received the BD kit today,not bad going as it was only posted Monday.The pump in my kit is a P4601. [guitar]

Wow... I stand corrected... that seems odd. Do they actually want you to connect it inline with the stock lift pump? That would seem to easily create pressures nearing 30lbs... not the 20-22 that those above were talking about.

Is this what everyone gets w/ the BD pusher pump kit? Is this suppose to be ran WITH the stock pump or as a replacement / relocation for the stock lift pump?

Maybe I have the "kit" confused with another "kit"... one being a complete replacement and the other, a tandem solution w/ the existing pump.

Steve

Sixpack 11-25-2005 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by CORed
Wow... I stand corrected... that seems odd. Do they actually want you to connect it inline with the stock lift pump? That would seem to easily create pressures nearing 30lbs... not the 20-22 that those above were talking about.

Is this what everyone gets w/ the BD pusher pump kit? Is this suppose to be ran WITH the stock pump or as a replacement / relocation for the stock lift pump?

Maybe I have the "kit" confused with another "kit"... one being a complete replacement and the other, a tandem solution w/ the existing pump.

Steve

I too am thinking the BD pump should be a 6-8 psi pusher pump. I am confused as well.. :confused:

eric13 11-25-2005 10:04 PM

I just hooked up a carter 4601 up with stock lift pump
I was getting 7 lbs at idle 5 at cruising speed an 0 at wot. With the pump I am getting 23 at idle 20 at cruising speed and 15 at wot. I just used a relay and have no hard starting issues.

Sixpack 11-25-2005 10:15 PM

Just for clairification: 4601 is 18psi.....4600 is 8 psi per SummitRacing.com

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=36&y=10

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=36&y=10

wildcargo 11-26-2005 07:33 AM

Ok I nead a little wireing help I have a 4601 pump and a oil presure switch and a relay and some 6an braded line and fittings laying around here . so how are you wireing this pupy up ?? wireing diagram ??

j-fox 11-26-2005 10:05 AM

Each pump is referenced to atmosphere. they should not stack pressures.
Two 15 psi pumps should still give a good 15 not 30.