Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Pusher pump pressure? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/pusher-pump-pressure-81983/)

MARKY MARK 11-02-2005 10:39 AM

Pusher pump pressure?

I am planning to put the BD pusher pump kit back by the tank. The pump used in the kit is the Carter P4601HP which puts out a maximum of 18 psi. Will using this pump in addition to my stock lift pump, which is putting out 11-12 psi at idle, 10-11 cruising and 8 wot, be too much pressure? Or should I use a different pump for the pusher pump kit?

Mark

Tiny 11-02-2005 02:00 PM

I put a Holley Blue in line, 14psi, with the stock lift pump. It absolutely buries the 16psi gauge I have now, but I get no hard starts so I am happy.

george7941 11-02-2005 03:50 PM

I had hard starts. Check out https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...re+arithmetics

MKELLY 11-02-2005 04:02 PM

I use a Holley Red with a Cummins lift pump and my fuel pressure @ idle is 22 psi, no hard starts here. The Holley is rolling on 2 yrs without any issues.

Big Deezul 11-03-2005 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MKELLY
I use a Holley Red with a Cummins lift pump and my fuel pressure @ idle is 22 psi, no hard starts here. The Holley is rolling on 2 yrs without any issues.

same here 22 at Idle with the BD kit

KennyG 11-04-2005 10:51 PM

:) Marky....I am using that exact setup from BD. You WON'T get any hard starts due to over pressure on start ups. This kit comes with an oil pressure switch which easily connects to the extra oil outlet plug next to turbo oil supply. The pusher pump that is included (Carter P4601) is controlled by this pressure switch. Here's what happens... You turn your key and truck starts with your stock pump only operating. Once the oil pressure has risen (momentarily); this activates the oil pressure switch which sends power to your pusher pump. This works very well. My pressure is around 24 @ idle. BD did their homework with this kit! [guitar] Here's the link:

KennyG :cool:

MARKY MARK 11-05-2005 09:58 AM

Thanks. I'm definitely going with the BD kit.

Mark

yamroamer 11-06-2005 03:24 PM

Hi guys
I`m running a stock 2002 2wd 2500 24v ctd which I have had for 18 months.Would fitting a pusher pump kit prolong the life of my lift pump or is it just a performance mod.
:confused:

Thanks Van

flippinfred 11-16-2005 01:14 PM

pump question

From what little I know (but have read plenty here) the main purpose is to
help prolong the life of the Injection Pump, not the lift pump. Most don't have
much regard for the stock lift pump anyway. It does seem to be better to
relocate the stocker back near the tank and let it push fuel rather than pull
it through that long hose!

That is my next mod, anyway.

Good Luck!

ps: are getting parts locally a problem for you?

Big Deezul 11-16-2005 01:17 PM

These BD kits work awesome..you will have zero starting problems and they supply everything you need to do the install (minus tools and time) They are not a performance upgrade at all

Sixpack 11-16-2005 11:33 PM

The pump in the BD kit is a 7 psi 100 gph, is it not?

clhumm 11-17-2005 09:13 AM

what would be the difference between the BD set up and using a Vulcan big line kit with a Carter/Holley pump?

yamroamer 11-17-2005 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by flippinfred
From what little I know (but have read plenty here) the main purpose is to
help prolong the life of the Injection Pump, not the lift pump. Most don't have
much regard for the stock lift pump anyway. It does seem to be better to
relocate the stocker back near the tank and let it push fuel rather than pull
it through that long hose!

That is my next mod, anyway.

Good Luck!

ps: are getting parts locally a problem for you?

The 5.9 cummins engine is very popular in the uk,so getting engine parts won`t be a problem.Any other parts would have to be shipped from the US.

TNutcher 11-17-2005 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by clhumm
what would be the difference between the BD set up and using a Vulcan big line kit with a Carter/Holley pump?

The BD setup has an oil press. sensor and once the oil press comes on it lets current reach the pump and turns it on once the motors going not during startup so youll only have the stock lp doin its thing at startup. If u do wire the carter/holley inline w/the stock using a relay to follow how the lp runs (2 sec's b4 startup and less current during starting then full on again) it does fine. Roll On
T

clhumm 11-18-2005 01:01 PM

thanks for mentioning about wiring the holley/carter. but what i was meaning is performance wise, is the big line kit better bc it has larger tubes for better fuel flow or do both kits have the same size tubes. besides the oil sensor switch feature on the bd, what is the difference/advantage of the 2 systems. thanks

hummel