24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Push accelerator, not accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 06:53 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Called the dealer this morning to tell them of my issues and see ask them about how long they thought they may be with it.
Service manager tells me that the symptoms I described sounded like a waste gate?? I'm supposed to drop it off first thing tommorow, guess I'll know more by Friday afternoon?
Kinda had my heart set on a new VP44, like a fresh start..........
Old 06-09-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
service MGR already sounds like a doozy
Old 06-10-2005, 01:20 AM

Don't let some idiot service dingdong try and tell you it is waste gate. Never heard of a waste gate giving you a dead pedle or the p0216 code. stick to your guns and get rid of any engine mods you might have!! before you go in

Chris
Old 06-10-2005, 06:09 AM
P.J
Banned

That's the repsonse i figured I would get form ya'll.
Service Manager claims to have a "good diesel guy". No mods yet, so good to go there. Can't wait to here.
I'll pop in tonight to let everyone know how it goes.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:23 PM
P.J
Banned

I called then at about 3 PM today for a status on my truck so I could decide if I would need to catch a ride home or wait.
Theyare telling me "the last thing they needed to do was run the LP flow test". I'm wondering what else they did before that?
He also said that it had been 256 key starts since the inital code 0216 was thrown, not sure what that means to me, should've asked. He says that they will have to phone in the results of the tests in order to get the pump shipped to them under warranty. Is this similiar to anyone else's VP44 (and or) LP failures?
Find out Monday I suppose.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:19 PM

yea, but that should have been like the second thing they did............ the puter just keeps track of how many starts the truck has between cleared codes ect.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:52 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally posted by upersleder
yea, but that should have been like the second thing they did............ the puter just keeps track of how many starts the truck has between cleared codes ect.
Ahh, they called me around 5:30 PM. 256 Starts from the time the code was first thrown.
New Lift AND Injection Pump on order, told me to pick the truck up and schedule a day to get the install's done.
Why DC didn't equip these trucks with a FP gauge is beyond me. Mine will be on order by the end of next week. One thign is for sure, without the Cummins warranty, I would be SOL.
Thanks for all the moral support.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:15 AM

well at least your dealer is doing something about it, mine erased the code and said its still running, so go drive it.......... i have got news for them.....i'll shut my mouth now.......
Old 06-11-2005, 01:32 PM

...and again

......and again, we talk about the lift pump.
Guys, go back and re-read all of reply's to the original message. Now, put a dollar figure on all the time wasted personally troubleshooting the fault. Now, figure additional manhours logging onto this website to ask questions and troubleshoot those suggestions. Add to the bottom line frustration, loss of the vehicle, lost time at the workplace calling and fuming over the answers you received from the dealer's either diesel mechanic or maintenance manager. Rental car perhaps, or maybe just inconveniencing your co-workers, wife, or husband hauling you around........and again, you've paid for either a FASS or a Air Dog. Its a known, repeatable problem. Why do people continue to dick with it???
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:46 PM

you are somewhat correct bart, i dont know about PJ, but in my case i cant just shell out hundreds of dollars on command, just aint gonna happen.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bartman,
Guages and developing an understanding of what's going on is what's needed. With my guage, relocated single Carter lift pump & modified fittings, I figure I'm about $400 to the good since last Sept. over the high buck stuff and done right.

Most owners are doing fine just driving their trucks with stock parts and no guages and running up the miles.

There's a few here that are running stock pumps in the stock location, just monitoring their pressure, racking up hundreds of thousands of miles and walking around $500+ richer...now who's the goober...lol

We choose to be lots more involved with our trucks and discuss our interests here. White paint lasts longer on trucks but I'm not sanding off my red paint because of it. That doesn't make me wrong...it's jes' my choice...like slow filling when I fill-up the fuel tank or my effective fuelin' system.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 PM

Hey Guys,
You're missing my point.
We are an organized, informed group of diesel owners whom have chosen to purchase a great engine. That it happens to be wrapped in a Dodge package is strickly secondary.
I spend hours upon hours studying all the new and old emails gaining insight and informed decisions into the modifications I am going to make to my vehicle. I also learn the short comings of my product and how to make my long-term purchase more reliable and enjoyable. This research increases both my intelligence in my product of choice. but paves the road for all of my future modifications.
The lift pump is a known engineering problem with drastic results. When the fuel injection pump is operated below a supplied 5 psi, you ulitmately will have a fuel injection pump failure. It does not matter wether your in the Lowe's parking lot, or pulling a 5th wheel up a narrow two lane mountain road, it will eventually fail. Yes, you can skirt the issue of not going either high dollar or technical by keeping an additional lift pump in the truck, and having an array of the proper guages in the cab under watchful eye. But you have not fixed the problem.
I am not advocating throwing money at anything. But at 39 years of age, and in the military, a quarter saved here, a dollar saved there, and I can stay home tonight and not go out drinking, adds up quickly.
The point is, once the problem is permanently corrected, I can move on to bigger and better things.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 PM
P.J
Banned

Bartman, I see your point.
Understand that I (thread starter) have a truck that is still under Cummins warranty. Weather or not I want (or agree with the need of) an aftermarket pump is not of importance at this point. The dealer is not going to install a FASS system for me as they are doing the Cummins warranty work on the VP44.
If I were to decide that I wanted (and could afford) a different delivery pump I will have the stock (newly replaced) factory LP for a back up.
If you were talking to a guy who had to drop a few thousand on a VP themselves, maybe your point would get through a bit better. (living on the edge? maybe, but for now I'm near broke, pay check to paycheck kinda thing).
I work cheap (for myself that is). The hour(s) I spent on this issue are a drop in the bucket when compared to the repair bill that is covered for me. Do I wish it didn't happen? Yes and No. Would I rather have had it happen at 100,001 miles??
Will I be less likely to need another injection pump over the next few years??
Well...........................?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Banned

pjsnyder76,

Aside from all the bs above, my 2002 did the same thing your did a few months ago. They had to replace both pumps and all was under warranty. The lp fails and then kills the VP44. You're not the only one. I hope you got it all fixed and good luck.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:22 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally posted by 4x4dually
pjsnyder76,

Aside from all the bs above, my 2002 did the same thing your did a few months ago. They had to replace both pumps and all was under warranty. The lp fails and then kills the VP44. You're not the only one. I hope you got it all fixed and good luck.
Thanks buddy,
Picked the truck up this morning (not fixed) they say the pumps will be in on Thursday, install set for Friday. Only thing that could suck for me now is if it completly craps out on me and I get to pay a tow bill. Oh well, the Dealer has been cool so far so no complaints here. I figure (sorta in response to all the b.s) if this happens again in the next 6 months or 33K +/- miles, the dealer will see me again. Gagues are about a week and a half away, so that will be a relief.
Thank's for the support.

Quick Reply: Push accelerator, not accelerating