24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pump Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pump Confusion

Im a new CDT owner and I am still learning and have alot to learn.

I was recenly told that I have 3 fuel pumps on my truck.

1. Inside the tank
2. On the side of the motor
3. IP - Injection pump

is this right?

Which one of these (1 or 2) that goes out all the time?
(i know that 3- the IP goes out because of 1 or 2 going bad due to insufficient cooling/lubercation)

thanks for the help
Old 06-17-2007, 01:03 AM

#2, the one on the side of the motor. You sure that pump is still there?? It's right behind and below the fuel filter. They took that stock lift pump off when they did the pump in the tank to mine....the bracket is still there but there's just a fuel line running thru it, it's definitely MIA.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:11 AM

You are partially correct. The first two on your list, the in tank and on the side of the motor, are both Lift pumps. You will have one of the two. Some have the in tank as. The lift pumps are what are known for going bad. Most people try and help the problem by putting a pusher pump on incase the lift pump fails. You'll see carter or holley pisher pumps if that is the case. If you get an aftermarket lift pump system such as FASS or build and A1000 or get a glacier system as sold by the forum it bypasses the enire stock system giving you better reliability. Either of these systems works better than the stock system but should till be monitored by a fuel pressure gauge just to make sure your gettin your precious fuel to your IP. The IP can still fail due to the way they are designed. Lack of fuel which lubricates the pump is one cause. Alot of guys run a lubricant in the fuel to help that problem. When the lift pump dies, the IP cannot keep proper pressure on the intake side and begins to wear on the internals thus also failing the pumps. The IP electronics also have their short comings and are known to short the board on the pump. All of these problems are hit and miss. I had one truck that I didnt have to replace the IP or lift pump until 216k and another one died at 42k. It really depends on the truck, They can have a mind of their own.