24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

pressurized fuel tank, leaking out the top of the module??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pressurized fuel tank, leaking out the top of the module??

I found a puddle of fuel under my truck, looks at though it appears to be leaking out of the top of the tank. Current fuel level is less than 1/4. My initial idea was the clip on the return line was broken and that fuel was leaking down while the truck was sitting. I have twice started it right up, so the supply line is not leaking. However we started it today to locate the source of the leak and looks as if it is coming from the vent side of the module. The top of the module has a puddle of fuel on it. before we started the truck, I removed the cap and the tank was pressurized I think more than normal, but I wouldn't swear to it. We are going to clean off the top of the tank and dry it to try to pinpoint the source of the leak. A friend on mine is telling me he clamped a vacuum cap around the vent after his started leaking after he installed a 60 gallon aux tank. Just wondering if this is a common issue, the part that worries me the most is wondering why the tank seems to be pressurized
Old 07-04-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
the tank should NOT be pressurized! the vent is probably plugged
Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have you checked the fuel cap?
might not be venting..but that might be only part of the problem?
could the fuel lines that come out of the tank be leaking too?

-dkenny
Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to replace my fuel pickup and lines due to corrosion in my 99. Return line could have a pinhole in it allowing fuel to leak, puddle and run down side of tank
Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I'd check the fuel cap to make sure it is working correctly.

Simple stuff first....
Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Potentially two things going on here. One is that your fuel tank is probably not "pressurized" but actually what you're hearing when removing the fuel cap is a "vacuum". There is nothing to create pressure in the tank but removing fuel will create a vacuum if the fuel module vent isn't working or is caped. I believe the fuel cap isn't vented because the tank is vented. And its not terribly uncommon to hear someone who has a truck where the fuel module vent cap was never removed on the assembly line.

Also, if you look on the fuel module, amongst all the other lines and wires, you'll see there's short rubber line pointing up (about 1.5"-2" tall) thats caped. I'm not sure what this is even for but its prone to cracking and the sloshing fuel will easily escape and cause a leak on top of the tank. If you're not seeing fuel drip while the engine is running then its not related to the fuel supply or return lines.