24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!
View Poll Results: Part Time Hub conversion!! Do it your self
Cost effective
70.00%
Not worth the time and effort
17.50%
Don't have the tools or ability
12.50%
Conversion is dangerous
0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

POLL!! Part Time Hubs--Build it Yourself

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you tell me how to do the link, I don't know how.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=178781

Ok I think I got the link up.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JOOPS, Thanks for sharing your hard work. That's awsome. I would definitely be interested. Regards, Glen
Old 11-19-2007, 03:27 PM

I know that Dynatrac offers a Free Spin kit (for manual locking hubs) but it's like $1,750 for all the entire setup, pretty expensive ...

How can I find out more info on the EMS kit? is it a full kit, plug and play ready to go for my truck or does it need tweaking etc...? anyone got a web link for the EMS or other kit's available for this conversion?

At the current price of diesel, anything to improve mpg peaks my interest for sure!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM

No tweaking required with the EMS kit but I don't know if they have the ABS option yet or not. The last time I was on their website it didn't have it. OK I'm wrong, I just went to their website: http://emsoffroad.com/shop/index.php...4fb3b4036fafcd
They do have the ABS system available, the really good news is that their kit and mine WILL FIT THE 3rd GEN UP TO 2007 Look at the years offered.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Just posted the MACHINE SHOP PHASEhttps://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...33#post1798433
Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 PM

Tear down phase posted, see link in #21
Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM

That EMS system sure is pretty.
Almost worth saving the money up for.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 PM

Final phase posted see link in #21
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM

The EMS kit looks just like the same spread (pic) for the Dynatrac Kit...looks like EMS is $1250 and Dynatrac is around $1750 ....are they the same kit? Why the difference in price? What are the differences between the 2 kits which are designed to do the exact same thing...?

Who knows maybe EMS has a private label licensing agreement with Dynatrac and rebadge & sell the kit as a distributer....

any thouhgts?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 AM

You can find a nice used kingpin Dana 60 for the price of the Dynatrac kit and install a much better axle.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 AM

I am just curious - but being an off-roader and spending a ton of time on other 4x4 related forums I was curious about just swapping the entire axle out for an older unit with lockouts. My truck is a 97 so does it have ABS on the front axle to worry about? I realize that I would have to weld on the brackets for the control arms, trackbar, etc and do some work on the steering but in the end this may actually be an alternative that would allow someone to buy off the shelf parts and not have anything customized by a machine shop. Thoughts on this? Anyone on here done it?

I never realized that the MPG difference with lockouts was that great so that is what sparked my interest. My current axle is geared to 4.10 and I have already picked up sets of 3.54 gears front and rear to swap. Maybe doing an entire axle swap is a worthwhile project instead?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
You have to check on the tag under the hood to see if your truck is RWALB only. ( You could also check for the ABS wiring to the front axle ) It was an option, and I lucked out, mine is rear wheel only.

That being said, I have a kingpin D60 for a swap and there are a couple of things that need to be known. The track is about 1-1/2" narrower than our 60's, so the brackets get quite tight to the kingpin boss and need to be raised slightly. It would work as a built in leveling kit though.

Looking at mine, at least tentatively. I would like to make bolt on control arm brackets to U-bolt to the original Ford perches, and to help correct the track, look at making it a slip on rotor setup like the 2001 and newer setup. That is all very speculative right now as I don't have the axle in my shop yet.

I am not sure yet about any steering linkage options to connect the Dodge to the Ford, other than I know the swaps detailed on the Internet say they are custom.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by patdaly

I am not sure yet about any steering linkage options to connect the Dodge to the Ford, other than I know the swaps detailed on the Internet say they are custom.

Check out www.offroadunlimited.com They may be able to help in the steering department. If they don't have a kit available, they do do custom work also.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
You have to check on the tag under the hood to see if your truck is RWALB only. ( You could also check for the ABS wiring to the front axle ) It was an option, and I lucked out, mine is rear wheel only.

That being said, I have a kingpin D60 for a swap and there are a couple of things that need to be known. The track is about 1-1/2" narrower than our 60's, so the brackets get quite tight to the kingpin boss and need to be raised slightly. It would work as a built in leveling kit though.

Looking at mine, at least tentatively. I would like to make bolt on control arm brackets to U-bolt to the original Ford perches, and to help correct the track, look at making it a slip on rotor setup like the 2001 and newer setup. That is all very speculative right now as I don't have the axle in my shop yet.

What is RWALB?

I don't know if I have all wheel ABS, will need to find out. Wonder if both the EMS and Dynatrac kits account for ABS on all 4 corners, they say the kit is for '01 (among later years as well) so they *should* have taken into account this issue in the kit's design...

Quick Reply: POLL!! Part Time Hubs--Build it Yourself