24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

oil pressure sender

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a 34mm socket to get the old one out, if the replacement is the updated part you need a standard deep oil pressure switch socket(I think it's 1 1/16").
Old 12-26-2006, 07:22 PM

I am 90% sure it is 1 1/4" deep well socket and with enough extensions, you can go through the fenderwell from the driver side front tire. Five minute replacement if you can get the plug off easily. Good luck. If 1 1/4" isnt it, it is 1 1/8" socket.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:20 AM

I think you may be right about the 1 1/4". I just looked back in the tool box and a 32mm is the last large socket I put away. So 1 1/4" or 32mm deep to remove old. If the new sender is the updated part it takes deep 1 1/16" or 27mm.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:40 PM

Just one more tool to add to the tool box. Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Hello everyone, new to this forum and so far from what I've read this is a great site. I also have a 2001 dodge 4X4 cummins HO with a 6sp tranny that has just done the same thing with the sending unit. Toataly freaked me out and I don't know why if I would have just thought about it for a second I would known it was a sending unit cause it if it wasn't getting any oil it would have been making all kinds or rattling noise. Called my dodge dealer and it was $217. I've been trying to sell the truck so now i've got to get this fixed before I can sell it. What is the web site for rocky mtn cummins?

Thanks
Dempsy
1badboat
Old 01-04-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced mine not two months ago. I used a 1-1/4" deep well socket to get the old one out and the new one in. I am looking at the old one now, and it is in the box the new one came in. I was quoted ungodly prices from Auto Zone and the Dodge dealers. I called a small place in Granbury (TX) and was pleasantly surprised when I was quoted a price under $80!
The supplier was:Edwards Equipment
Ph: 817-573-7755
E-Mail: John@CumminsStuff.com
the box shows part no. 4088390 and description - Sensor, Pres
I am not afiiliated with Edwards Eqpt in any way. I have just found them to have the best prices for Cummins parts in my area.
As far as the replacement goes, I went underneath and had minimal problems, but while I was changing teh front shocks on my truck I had the drivers side tire off and just happened to take a look at the engine. You guessed it - the oil pressure sending unit was right there in front of me!
My indication that the sender had failed was the fact that the pressure was always just below the top line of the normal range, even with the engine not running but the key on.

Dry Creek
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM

I called a cummins dealership and the replacement part is about $25 and I will have to have my ECM reprogramed for that part. I got a friend that works for a dodge dealership and he said he could do the programming for me so I guess that is the way i'm going to go.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 AM

OP sender

My sender went out at 74K. I was driving one night in the middle of nowhere (which is typical of southwestern Arizona) and the OP lite came on. The OP gauge had gone to zero. I pulled over, shut down and mulled the situation over. Got out and looked under the hood (plenty of oil on the dipstick) and the truck. Everything seemed OK, so I started up, no clanks, tapping, so I continued home. Went the next day to the agency to pick up a new sender. I asked the Parts man if this was a regular problem, and he - looking somewhat embarrassed - said, “Yes it is.” I said, “Hmmm, seems like a lucrative little failure.” He agreed.

The change is easy, and the replacement is still working OK. Wish I could say that for my VP44...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1badboat...
You should not have to get a refalsh if the Cummins parts guy gave you the right part. Prior to '02 the sending unit went to a "live" feed to the oil pressure indicator in the dash. For '02 and later the sending unit feeds the ECM which then sets the oil pressure indication based on engine temperature and RPM. You need to make sure that you get part number 4088390! That one is designed for your appliaction!

Dry Creek
Old 01-06-2007, 01:29 AM

I just picked up my sensor at Cummins Cal Pacific, LLC. They told me that I need part# 4921511 sensor,pressure for 78.67 and part 3164755 cable,electrical 11.73 The sensor is different then the factory one, but the pulg looks almost the same and it does not fit the plug in the truck. The oil pressure switch electrical cable kit has one wire on it and it needs to be connected to a 23-pin Deutsch OEM connector on the OEM harnessand the other end doesn't even fit the sensor they sold me. This is what the four page installation guide says. I call Cummins Cal Pacific, LLC back and they told me that this oil pressure switch will work on a Cummins engin, but will not hook up to the Chrysler harness. So now I have to take it back. I am not going to pay the high price for one of these units at the dealer. I guess I will call CumminsStuff.com and have them ship me one. By the way I have a '00 2500 some what stock truck.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:06 AM

1badboat,

If you get that $25 sender it will turn your guage into an idot light. It will read the same thing all the time instead of the real pressure. It will read something when you have pressure and 0 when turned off. I went through all this and have a post somewhere in the history of what I found when I did mine several years back. I was ready to buy the correct one at a dealer if I was not able to find the correct one at Cummins. I found the correct one for around $80 at Cummins.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:40 AM

I gave cummins the motor number off of the timing cover and this is the part number they gave me. PN#4076930 is the switch for 9.49 don't know what the part number for the adapter harness is. When I do go up there which is a 2hr drive I will take my part with me to be sure I get the correct part. thanks for all the help.