24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Oil Filters

Figure 9 pro,<br>Thanks for that link, but close inspection reveals to me that this is about the least scientific test I have ever seen.<br><br>Without pressure tests, flow tests, actual diagnostics of the performance of the membrane (deciding they are thick or thin doesn't count for much).<br><br>If Brand X spends 50 million dollars developing a membrane that catches twice as many particles as the next guy, maybe they make up the difference by having the case cheaply made (if it didn't present any problems in testing).<br>Thick or thin is a bit too vague I think.<br>Of course, a cheap case could present a problem in these Cummins motors (I *just* learned of a high pressure condition on startup in them )<br><br>The Mobil 1 filter in that &quot;visual inspection&quot; sounds interesting as at least they would appear to have put resources into a different sort of membrane.<br><br>Does Fleetguard offer filters for a 300ZX twin turbo, a Lotus Esprit, a Toyota Landcruiser, a Range Rover, an International scout, and a Daiwoo forklift?<br>Oh man, it's gonna be fun pulling the Frams out of all of those
Old 11-15-2002, 10:17 PM

[quote author=Sean S link=board=4;threadid=7080;start=30#67595 date=1037419986]<br>Does Fleetguard offer filters for a 300ZX twin turbo, a Lotus Esprit, a Toyota Landcruiser, a Range Rover, an International scout, and a Daiwoo forklift?<br>Oh man, it's gonna be fun pulling the Frams out of all of those <br>[/quote]<br><br>Go with Wix Fliters they are the best you can buy right up there with fleetguard I use them on all my machines $4.75 for the filters for my CTD! can't beat that &amp; the quality is there!<br><br>DRecu!
Old 11-15-2002, 11:45 PM
Banned

Sean S, the &quot;lunched&quot; engines I experienced were not, repeat, not, diesels. They were gasoline engines. If the Fram filter couldn't survive a gasser, how can it do any better on a diesel?
Drecu, please don't be mad at me, but I don't have a high opinion of Wix filters either, cut one open, cut other brands open, and you'll instantly understand why.
That's all ya gotta do, folks, take a bandsaw or hacksaw to them old filters and set your peepers on the evidence in front of ya. My opinion here, that's all. I have the combined years of experience of myself, my uncles, my cousins, my dad, all of us that have been heavily involved in racing and aftermarket performance for more than 20-30 years...
No Fleetguard available for gas engines? : : There are quality filters available for gassers, if you know where to look. Wix is arguably better than some on the market.
Old 11-16-2002, 06:26 AM

Briarhopper, did you take any pictures of the filters after you cut them open? It would be interesting to see them if you did
Old 11-16-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

;D Why would anyone buy a $400 suit and wear sneakers<br> with it. ???
Old 11-16-2002, 09:09 AM

[quote author=Ol Ratlr link=board=4;threadid=7080;start=30#67713 date=1037457931]<br> ;D Why would anyone buy a $400 suit and wear sneakers<br> with it. ???<br>[/quote]<br><br>
Old 11-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=Cattle Hauler link=board=4;threadid=7080;start=30#67987 date=1037492403]<br>Here she is a Fleetguard, why can't they add some color to that filter like a red ;D<br>[/quote]<br> Ch I am going to send you a can of pretty red paint for Christmas! You can set those filters upside down on a clean piece of cardboard and paint them before mounting them! 8)
Old 11-16-2002, 07:41 PM

I recently started useing K&amp;N oil filters. they claim to filter down to 5-10 microns. Is that good? Does anyone have experience with them?<br>Thanks
Old 11-16-2002, 08:57 PM

Top, i'll take those filters off your hands the penns are mabe by Wix &amp; I would use them, if you want to unload them i'd be glad to help you out! <br>Briar: no offence, i understand where you are coming but I use them &amp; they work better than any other filter on my gas engines &amp; the price is good, so i figured i would try them on my truck also &amp; they work great a lot better than the carquest flter that the truck came with! fleet guard is 10 bucks at Cummins dealer over here so....... i dont know i'm happy with the filters &amp; the price.<br><br>DRecu!

Quick Reply: Oil Filters