24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NV5600 Rear Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV5600 Rear Seal Leak

This issue may have been covered previously but I could not find this exact problem with a search.

Sequence of events: 2002 Ram 2500, H.O., 6spd., 2WD., in for some front end work and alignment. Asked shop to replace U-joints while there (normally I complete this myself, but it was convenient for the shop to perform the task at the time). Prior to service the trans rear seal had be weeping very slightly (335000k) but I forgot to mention it so it was not changed while the drive shaft was out. When I get the truck back, I noticed the trans seal is leaking quite bad, figured it got damaged when the yoke was in and out. Wasn't too concerned as it had a lot of miles on it. Had the shop install a new one. The seal supplied by parts house was incorrect but the one supplied by the dealer was correct and installed. Get the thing home and it is leaking just as bad as the old one. Back to the shop, they order a new seal to install this morning. I figured the seal got cut by the yoke or there was a burr on it that damaged the new seal as well. I witnessed the removal of the drive shaft the second time and inspected the yoke surfaces and the seal itself and found no visible damage. Shop owner cannot see anything amiss either. So a second seal from Chrysler has been installed and the offending one returned. I will keep an eye on the new one for the next while. Has anyone found new seals right from Chrysler to be faulty? Lengthy post but we are not finding a visible cause of this seal leak.

Mr. Mike.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A bad tail shaft bearing could be causing the seal to flex past its ability to keep a tight fit on the yoke or the yoke is worn out
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but I forgot to mention that we did check for wear on the yoke and bushing but found both to be in good shape.

Mr. Mike