24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Not running

Old 11-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Bax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not running

Helping a friend of mine with a 1999 dodge 24v. He said it wasn't running smooth and would spit and sputter when he would try to get up to speed. He said he hadn't changed the fuel filter it ages. So I changed it. Cleaned and refilled the bowl. Turned the key a couple times because I didn't see a manual prime. Wouldn't start. So I go checking for air in the banjo fittings. Straight fuel and no air. Next I crack the 1 3 4 injectors. Crank on it a while until I finally start getting air bubbles spitting out. Close the injector lines one by one as it starts to catch. Finally it catches and runs by itself. Snugged all the lines. Revved it at 1500 for about 15 seconds and then it idled for about 30. Then it died. What to do now?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
What is the transfer pump fuel pressure reading???
Old 11-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Bax

Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts
What is the transfer pump fuel pressure reading???
haven't checked. Don't have a gauge. When I loosed the banjo fitting on the inlet side of the filter and turned the key it squirted a good deal diesel out. So i didn't think fuel pressure would be an issue
Old 11-30-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Sounds like the lift pump is OEM and causing the typical problem where its not pumping enough pressure, or any pressure at all.

You need to check the fuel pressures. If the pressures are too low then its likely the problem. But also, its worth knowing that if the pressures have been too low for too long then the chances of damaging the VP become very high.

Because of the rotor distributor design of the VP, unless the shaft broke or the rotor seized, it will pump fuel through itself even when its not working. But its not pumping anything near proper numbers and wont run. Meaning, with a functional lift pump, when cranking the engine with the injector lines cracked loose you should get a good spurt of fuel and low volume. If its only dribbling out the loose fitting then its possible that the VP isnt working.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Bax

Was looking at it again last night and I took the bowl loose to see that it was empty this time. When I turned the key with the bowl loose nothing happened so now we are shopping for a fuel pump. I had no idea that these were in the tank. Makes me feel like a dummy looking for a manual prime lever🔥🔥🚙🔥
Old 11-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Shouldn't be in the tank at all unless it was refitted by Dodge. The lift pump should be just behind and below the fuel filter, mounted to the block.

The lift pump is powered and controlled directly by the ECM.

The lift pump will only run for about 2 seconds when the ignition is first turned on and that's it. While cranking, the ECM reduces the power to the lift pump in order to limit fuel pressure at the VP44 when starting. After starting the ECM brings the lift pump back to full power continuous operation.

You can bump the starter, and the ECM will run the lift pump for 25 seconds for priming. Just turn the key to start for a split second, not long enough to try to start the engine, and then leave the key in the run position. You can do this several times, just have to turn the key to OFF between cycles.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM

Correct. Lift pump is mounted to the engine block to the rear of the fuel filter unless it was retrofitted by the dealer, whereby the block mounted was removed and replaced with a fuel pump found in the fuel module in the tank.

If thats the case then I highly suggest replacing with a regular module and fitting an aftermarket fuel pump on the frame which will be far superior to delivering the correct amount of fuel pressures and volume.

The is no prime lever either. As jrs_dodge_diesel pointed out, bumping the starter (not starting the engine) will cause the fuel pump to run for a continuous 25 seconds. Listen for the hum of a fuel pump.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Bax

Can you give me a part number? The one on genos is an in tank model.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:26 PM

I dont have a part number but all you have to do is simply Google "1999 Dodge Cummins fuel tank module" and you'll find pages of vendors selling them and threads talking about them. They're not cheap and if you want OEM then you can get that too.

For instance, Vulcan Performance has some. Vulcan compound turbo components, AirDog Raptor Systems, VPMAX injectors, DrawStraw™, Big Line Kits, VPMAX silicone boot kits, gauge installation components, metric adapters & fittings, FA, Quadzilla, Edge, AirDog, ISSPRO, AFE, brackets, harne
Or you can retrofit the one you have with an upgrade module kit which eliminates the pump.
Or you can install a Beans Sump on the bottom of the tank.
There's options.....