24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

no towing power

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My patience is being severly tested by the patience fairy !
I had a blue chip installed today along with my pillar gauges installed by cummins.
cummins mecanic and i just ended a 30 minute conversation (i haven't picked the truck up yet) He said he is not sure what is wrong but the chip didn't help any and that when he test drove it it kept shifting from overdrive to drive at 35 mph.
said he tryed stalling it at 2000 rpm and could not even turn the wheels on wet pavement.
said that it is not showing codes for a bad injector pump but seeing as tho the lift pump was out and recently replaced by my dodge dealer that he would lean towards the injector pump.
said the fuel gauge is reading 17 at idle and dropping to 7 when under load.
if the paitence fairy is listning , get off my case !
Old 03-04-2004, 06:37 PM

Did you check for back pressure in the exshaust yet. Simiple check. I should be home all weekend, give me a call if you want to check more out.

Dan
Old 03-04-2004, 06:43 PM

cummins had it wired up to computers and dyno checked it. wouldn't it have been pretty thouroly checked going thru this?
Old 03-05-2004, 02:43 PM

Did they acually rear wheel dyno it? When I plugged my vanaakan box in. Night and day difference in power. It was amost 60 degrees today on the way home. first time with the warm weather with my set up. It has Alot of Power and i love it. to me it has some much Power that something it going to break if not drivin smart.

dan
Old 03-05-2004, 03:37 PM

yes they put it on a rear wheel dyne-- hooked a chain to the frame and used an eighth of a tank of fuel!! that sucker was screamin on that dyno. First time i had ever seen it done pretty impressive.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:07 PM

What kind of boost are you getting at wide open throttle? My dad has a bone stock 98 12 valve, and it will pull 6000 pounds pretty easy. My 94 with a 160hp pump with a fuel plate will burn the tires off if you power brake it. I have 3:55's, and a crappy stock tranny, and it still runs pretty good. I just have to get my tranny worked on. Good luck

Eric
Old 03-05-2004, 04:13 PM

herb,

I'm sorry that you are the one that has to go through this ordeal. I've been watching this thread closely to see how it turns out. I'm very interested to find out what the problem is (I'm sure you are too!). The performance of your truck is so far off of what everyone else is seeing, it is really baffling. At least you seem to have a dealer and a Cummins dealer doing their best.

Hang in there!
Old 03-05-2004, 05:44 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately Ditto that Sorry to hear what a hassel you are going through it is not common.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:45 PM

spent about a half hour on the phone with chrysler customer service dept in dearborn this afternoon. they initiated a 3 way call to include my local dealer and we discussed the problems i am having .
chrysler is sending some type of a data disk for the dealer to use and sending a chrsler rep to meet with us at the dealership monday afternoon.
i had stopped at the dealer this morning and ask him if he thought it would benifit me any to contact chrysler customer relations and he said he didn't think it would do any good but offered their phone number to me. I told him if he didn't think it would do any good i wouldn't spend the time doing it. after i got back to my office i had a change of heart and looked the number up on the internet and called them.
talked to the dealer after our 3 way and he couldn't get over them "offering" to get a rep down here to us (essoecially by monday!!
persistance may pay off.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:48 PM

Good luck getting your truck running right because something is obviously wrong. Good luck.

Eric
Old 03-05-2004, 06:58 PM

hopefully we find the problem and i can move on and play with it a bit (ez edge on it"s way).
got my pillar gauges installed so i will be able to monitor it a little on my next trip (tenesee next weekend) . only going to need to pull a 16 foot trailer and one buggy for this trip but will get to pull some good grades.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:06 PM

I hope that you finally find out what the problem is! Good luck.
dave
Old 03-06-2004, 05:01 AM

does ez edge void warrenty?
Old 03-06-2004, 08:32 AM

Im pretty sure that it will void warrenty, but im not posotive. If i were you, and i had to go to the dealer for warrenty work, i would take it off first. Good luck

Eric
Old 03-06-2004, 09:33 AM

i also would not peirce the wire if thats the box u get untill u get ur problems straightend out

Quick Reply: no towing power