24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Newbie here - transmission question (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mooseman here is a link to their site to get an idea of prices and what upgrades you might want.
http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge.html
They are great to work with.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:47 AM

Change of Heart

Well, after hearing all of the "success" stories of a lot of people with Auto's (properly maintained, that is) and after talking to a couple of local tranny shops, I think I've decided to actually go with the Auto. Reasons being:

1. I wanted a manual because I assumed that replacing a clutch was FAR cheaper than replacing an auto tranny. From what the local shops say, I'd be looking at about $1000 for a new clutch. That is a helluva lot more than the $300 or so I thought it would be.

2. I am reassured that Auto's, again properly maintained, can withstand moderate to even extremely heavy towing loads based on the experiences I've ready here. I only plan on towing about 5000lbs - hardly anything to the Cummins.

3. In the event the wife will need/want to drive the truck, I know she'd be happier and more comfortable letting the big beast do its own shifting. Afterall, this will be OUR truck and I want her to feal like she will be able to drive it and not be intimidated by it. I, too, would ultimately prefer not to have to shift manually. I've driven automatics mostly and, let's face it, it's a more relaxing drive. There is a good amount of FUN to be had with manuals, no doubt about it (any REAL sports car has a manual in it). But, again, for her benefit, I will probably opt for an auto.

4. I am known as a maintenence freak. I am quite religous about changing fluids/filters/misc parts on a rigorous schedule. Properly driven and cared for, it sounds like an Auto won't be as much a problem that I thought it would be.

My next question - and one that may require a new post - is "what's the difference in mileage (mpg, that is) between a manual and an auto?" I plan on throwing 285's on it right away if it doesn't already have them. I'm looking for a truck with the 3.54/3.55 gears and I consider myself to be an average to slightly lead-footed driver (just like everyone else out there). Is 20+ empty on the hiway and 15-ish towing our 5000lb trailer unrealistic?

Thanks again for everyone's input. This site kicks a$$!!

-Neal
Boise, ID
Old 02-28-2004, 10:34 AM

I have 265/86 tires 3,55 gears and get 23 empty with cruise set at 75 and the air on. Towing a 5k travel trailer is 13.5-14.5 depending on how forgiving my lead foot is. That is with a modded truck. With smaller injectors I picked up mileage, but I don't remember what it was. I figgured the extra power was worth the loss of mileage.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Muted User

i'm running 295's with 3.55 gears and get 18-19 freeway, 13 when towing. but thats with stock injectors. I think a set of RV's would help the towing milage a bit. i might get a little bit better milage towing with the new tranny setup too. I'll have to see.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:07 PM

I run an auto and love it. If you take care of it(service it regularly) and don't beat the life out of it you should be able to do what you want with it.You gotta like what you drive.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you guys 2X4 or 4X4 getting those number for mileage?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:15 PM

I have a '98 with the 5-speed manual tranny, with about 130,000 miles on it, and I use it almost exclusively for pulling a 25' fifth-wheel trailer. Manual is the only way to go if you are going to be working the machine, with one exception. On my year of truck, you shouldn't pull long grades in fifth. The big nut on the back of the shaft comes off, and the gear slides out of place. This may have been upgraded on later models, as my repair consisted of replacing the nut with an upgraded one. If you get one and it has had the upgrade, that's great; I still don't pull long grades towing in fifth, just as a precaution.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:33 PM

Cool

Don't know why so many bemoan the Dodge auto trans. I was going to get a stick, but others that may drive opted for auto because of hills and traffic congestion in Seattle. Now I'm 55,000 miles later in Arizona where it doesn't matter so much, but love everything about this truck even the auto trans. I have run in all conditions including pulling trailers to 14,000 #'s and frequent hauling of 5,000 # camper sometimes towing a 2,000# trailer on a 54" hitch extension. The auto trans has always performed flawlessly with no noticeable slippage and rock hard shifts. It always seems to want to upshift and take advantage of the torque. My only beef, if that, is it won't downshift out of OD until about 55MPH. I can push the OD switch off at about 62 and maintain speed on steep hills. It appears to drop to 3rd briefly until it "realizes" it has enough going to up to 4th where it stays until we're over the hill. Don't know what could be much better. Will probably opt for beef up of both engine and trans to handle it after extendeed warranty expires. Suggestions welcome!

2000 3500 4X4 Cummins auto