24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New to this site

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to this site

Hello everyone im new here so i just wanted to introduce myself. my names Steve im from CT and im 20 years old. Im looking to buy a cummins and im looking at two 2002 dodge 2500 cummins that are for sale around me
Old 08-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Welcome to the website Sir!

Be aware that the 1999-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve trucks have the somewhat troublesome Bosch VP-44 Fuel Pump on them. Make sure you have those trucks you are looking at checked out real well before buying them.

--------
John_P
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Well thank you John! and i knew that i had to check out the front end pretty good and the tranny but i didnt know bout the fuel pump. do you know around how much they cost for a good durable one?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ssimoes94
Well thank you John! and i knew that i had to check out the front end pretty good and the tranny but i didnt know bout the fuel pump. do you know around how much they cost for a good durable one?
---------------
Your very welcome Sir!

Before you consider buying a new VP-44 have the fuel pressures checked on either of those two Dodge CTD 24 valve trucks you are looking at. The pressures should stay around 9-10 lbs even at WOT.

The price on new VP-44 pumps vary, but you I have seen them as low as
$895.00 and as expensive as $1,395.00. Make sure if you buy a new one that you deal with a shop that is Bosch Certified on them. One of our vendors here, Scheid Diesel, is one such shop that is certified by Bosch, has a great reputation and will give you a one year warranty on a new one.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 AM

If there's no gauge how do you see if the fuel pumps still good any tricks?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ssimoes94
If there's no gauge how do you see if the fuel pumps still good any tricks?
----------------------------------
Any good certified diesel shop has gauges designed for the purpose of checking the pressures on a VP-44 fuel pump. On my 2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve, I installed an Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge. You can buy them here in our DTR Store from Lary Ellis.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I bought a tester guage from geno's and used it when looking at trucks. It attaches easily and gives you an instant reading.

If the seller says no, walk away or plan on doing a vp first.

This site is pretty negative on the vp44 series because people don't ask questions or tell stories of getting stranded when their trucks are running well the rest of the time so keep that in mind when reading responses and other threads.

There is a wealth of aftermarket parts designed to overcome the weakness of the VP pumps and once you have taken care of it you can worry about the dash falling apart...which usually doesn't hinder your trip.....

Welcome to the site! Be patient and you will find a great truck.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I bought a tester guage from geno's and used it when looking at trucks. It attaches easily and gives you an instant reading.

If the seller says no, walk away or plan on doing a vp first.

This site is pretty negative on the vp44 series because people don't ask questions or tell stories of getting stranded when their trucks are running well the rest of the time so keep that in mind when reading responses and other threads.

There is a wealth of aftermarket parts designed to overcome the weakness of the VP pumps and once you have taken care of it you can worry about the dash falling apart...which usually doesn't hinder your trip.....

Welcome to the site! Be patient and you will find a great truck.
------------------------------------------------------------
SIXSLUG:

DTR Member ssimoes94 needs to know that the VP-44 fuel pumps CAN and WILL cause him problems. Personally,....your right, I am "negative" on the VP-44 fuel pumps as my 2002 Dodge CTD went through THREE (3) of them in 94,000 miles! And that was with alot of "precautions" by me to make darn sure the fuel was filtered thoroughly BEFORE it hit those VP-44 pumps!
Are there owners that have had good luck with them? I am sure there are, but there are many more that have had failures with them and that is well documented Sir. Our motto out here where I am is; "There are only two kinds of VP-44 fuel pumps, the ones that HAVE failed and the ones that are GOING to fail." I would rather see DTR Member ssimoes94 be careful with the selection of a used 1998 1/2-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve with a VP-44fuel pump than buy a truck and be left on the side of the road DEAD because of that pump.

One last thing,....I am also not convinced that there are "aftermarket parts" that will totally stop a VP-44 from failing! Yes, there are some modifications that help, but IMHO the very design of the pump invites problems when you compare it to a VE, P-7100 or even a CP-3 pump on the other Dodge CTD Pickups.

-------------
Respectfully,

John_P
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM

well thank you for your advice sixslug ill deff be looking into buy a tester gauge. and John_P as much as id like to stay away from the 1998-2002 cummins thats whats really in my price range right now. an 04 wil cost me up to $20,000 and ive done some research and from what ive read the 03 was one of the worst years correct me if im wrong.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The 03 is leaps and bounds better than ANY VP44 powered truck....if I learned anything over the years selling replacement pumps for VP44 powered trucks it is this...there are two kinds of VP44s....those that have failed and those that are going to fail, it is simply a matter of time.

I personally would not own a VP44 powered truck seen far TOO many of them fail.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Administrator

----------------------
ssimoes94:

Sir, I am not trying to discourage you but to let you know that the 1998.5-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve trucks with the VP-44 fuel pumps can be troublesome, that's all. Some of our new members that join and start looking for a good used Dodge CTD Pickup are not aware of the problems on the 1998.5-2002 Dodge CTD trucks. I just hate to see anybody buy one of those trucks and immediately start having problems.

Have you considered looking for a 1994-1998 Dodge CTD 12 VALVE truck??
They are priced lower than the VP-44 trucks and the Bosch P-7100 Fuel Pumps in those trucks are very bulletproof! Just a thought for you Sir.

For what it is worth, I personally don't think the 2003 Dodge CTD CR trucks are bad trucks at all?? I can tell you I would take a 2003 over a VP-44 truck!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm just saying that you can work with it. I imagine mine is going to go sooner or later, but a lot of other things have also failed on my truck...wiper motor, ball joints, u-joints, shocks, wheel bearings, blend door, power mirrors, ECM, trac bar, tie rod ends, transmission, vacuum pump, etc. back up light switch.....

Just be careful when checking them out. There are plenty of good vp44 aftermarket bosch certified rebuilders out there who offer a warranty for when you need it.

My last 100,000 miles have included Power Service with the lubricity additive in every tank, reputable fuel supply, good filters and a big line kit and FASS Lift Pump. I have only one time run my truck below 1/4 tank of fuel. I play it that a half tank is an empty tank and always try to top off around that mark.

As for me, I'll keep my old 24v. I got bigger problems than an injection pump going out...

Wasn't trying to start an argument, just saying they are good trucks and maybe you can use the vp44 issue as a bargaining chip when making your play on one...
Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM

your not starting a argument sixslug i appreciate everyone info and opinion. im just stuck cause tbe 1998-2002 are whats in my price range the 2003 and up im seeing for 20,000 and up
Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 PM

and John_P ive looked for everything im just not finding much around my area (ct)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The 53 series block has been known to cause a few issues. I'm sure you can find details of it on this great site and would recommend reading the threads. When looking to purchase, I tried to find something wrong w/the truck knowing I'd eventually find a good one and bought this one. Good luck w/your purchase!

Quick Reply: New to this site