24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

new fuel pump?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation new fuel pump?

Hello, I am new to Diesel Truck Resource. Here's my story, sorry it is so long... I currently have an 02 Ram 4x4 with the cummins. 170,000 miles. It has the 0216 code coming up on it. This is the truck's 2nd bad injector pump. The first one went bad when it had about 50 some thousand miles on it. The dealer where I bought it covered it under warranty and replaced the lift pump (side of block) and the injector pump. All was good. Recently, made a trip down to S.C. Parked truck, would not start the next morning at hotel! Finally got it running with ether, had to make it home to NJ, and drove straight home. I replaced the lift pump and all seemed good again.. WRONG... Injector pump is bad and I am ordering it within the week. Truck still runs, just lost power and I notice it smokes a little bit when I get on it and just seems to scream at high rpms and not go anywhere... Also, when driving down the road at about 45 to 50, the thing seems to slip in and out of gear, but its not... trans is fine, seems like the apps might be screwed up kind of like you are hitting the gas pedal on and off...

Anyhow, to the point of my story. Where is a good place to get a vp44? dealer, or off internet? What lift pump do i go with? Fass direct dodge replacement, or the one chrysler recommends to convert over to the in tank type? perhaps some other lift pump. I know this vp44 is probably a redundant topic on this site, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ps.. How long will a VP44 last after the 0216 code comes up?

whew.. that was long!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check with any local diesel performance shop. They have usually dealt with everything from stock to modified and know where is "best" to order from (not necessarily the least expensive). Given the cost of this repair, I did my research on what I thought would be a good idea and then brought that to the local shop.

Good luck with your repairs! I've been told that the VP could go any time or last a year, so who knows...maybe someone else will have a better answer on that one.

I can't wait to get mine - already have a list of things to do larger than my wallet.