24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need some help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help!!

I drained the water separater this morning then fired it up. It ran for like 15 seconds then the idle started surging then died.
I haven't changed the fuel filter in a while but I never noticed a drop in fuel pressure.
Any ideas??
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you refill the filter housing by bumping the starter 3-4 times? If not you ran her out of fuel and will need to reprime.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Banned

Can someone remind me how to bleed the air out? I loosed the left banjo bolt if your looking at it from the drivers side and primed it till it sprayed fuel. then I loosened 1 and 3 fuel lines and cranked on it, but no fuel came out.
I probably made it worse.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM

OK, tighten up the banjo if you didn't before you start cranking with the injector lines opened.
It may take a fair amount of cranking to get fuel to the injectors, crank for 15 sec then wait 30sec. Doing that several times so you don't overheat the starter. Hopefully you will get fuel then tighten up and continue cranking and she should go. If you don't get any fuel then, well........... you know.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

which injector lines do I loosen?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 AM

1 and 3 will do. I prefer to do them 1 at a time but u can do both. If there is alot of air you may need to do 4 and 5 also.

Make sure you reprime to the banjo bolt 1st as you did before then tighten up the banjo bolt and move to the injectors. Just makin sure were on the same page .
Old 12-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

Cool. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Banned

well, no luck. I messed with it for a while and I can't get fuel to spray out the injector lines. I have 1,3,4 and 5 open and been cranking for a while.
Would my injector pump just go out with no warning? It ran fine the night before.
Dammit!! I need my truck.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Where are you at? Edit your profile using USER CP, and put your location in there. Are you sure there is plenty of fuel in the tank? Simple I know, but stranger things have happened.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Oh man,
Yes the ip could give up when the prime was lost.
Ok, lets make sure you have fuel at the ip and no air. Go to the fuel filter and follow the fuel line to the ip where there is another banjo bolt. Loosen that banjo bolt and crank and close it when the fuel starts spraying everywhere.
(You really do need help so you can close things as you get fuel to them so air won't get back in.)
I would try again with only #1 fuel line open.

You should tell us where you are because there could be a helping hand very near.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:58 PM

(You really do need help so you can close things as you get fuel to them so air won't get back in.)
Good tip. I always have the wife turning the key while I open banjos and injectors. With my experience I'll tell you that a good lp and an open banjo at the ip will spray fuel all over you and the windshild. Listen for the pump to "bog down" when it pushes the air out. Then, jump on a stool and open the three injectors you can easily get to with an open-end wrench. Crank.Continue to crank even after fuel comes spurting out. Crank until the engine fires ont the cylinders with the closed injectors. ( I wouldn't exceed 15-20 sec cranking at a time) . When the motor starts to sputter, start closing injectors but keep her cranking until it is a self sustained idle. As you tighten the injectors the idle will increase and smooth out. I have done this no less than thirty times recently..
Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

Im located in Austin,TX.
I would crank the engine just a few times with the banjo bolt tight, then turn the key off while its still priming for 30 seconds or so. Then run around and loosen the bolt till fuel sprays out for a bit and retighten it. I haven't tried the other banjo bolt by the IP yet.
I've done this before when I installed the edge juice and it worked just like yall are saying.
Sorry but im kind of scatter brained from day 5 on Lexapro.(evil ****)
Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

****, still no luck!! I've done the above and I get fuel to spit out of the injector lines but it won't fire, and its not spitting that much fuel.
My edge says 16psi for FP. I have 1/2 a take of fuel. I don't see and fuel leeks.
??????
Anyone in Austin??
Old 12-12-2006, 03:41 PM

Once they start to dribble keep turning her over (no more than 15sec at a time with time in between attempts to allow the starter to cool). She'll go eventually. Some times mine can take 10 bumps of the starter, loosen the injectors, and it still seems like I have to crank her forever, but she always fires...eventually.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned

She's back!!
I ended up tightening the injector lines all the way by hand, and it fired. I must have cranked on it about 20 times.
Sweet!!
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Need some help!!