24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need Help for a friend...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best of luck!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...I would say our trip to Martin Dodge was a waste of time. The Service Manager sat us down in his office and more of less said we "misinterpret" how the 1999 Ram Warrantee book actually reads.
He said page 12+13 have nothing to do w/page 6. and his truck is out of warrantee.
I simply told him several have gone the route were going, and all the Dealerships say the same BS ...however...most if not all that take this to small claims court get their money back.
He did say he would make some calls and see what he could do...

I told my neighbor I've fought and done all I can do and it's up to him to handle the court side of it. I think it's due time for one of his 2 sons to help their Dad fight this fight.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up Update....!

Well it lokks like DC will take care of his $2,700 Bill after all.
Because the mileage was so low.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:53 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HammerDown
Good to hear.

Is this guy elderly or something?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:36 PM

More info More info!!!!

If this is indeed the case Dodge owes me the price of having a VP replaced as they denied my original warranty claim!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:42 PM

Yes i would like to hear more info, because it is seeming like my 60k mile 5 year old truck is in dire need of a VP too
Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Good to hear.

Is this guy elderly or something?
Yes, he's my neighbor I've known since I was born 1957, in his late 70's but sharp as a whip (kinda) lol.
He's a dear friend, I look after him as much as I can...heck I just did rear brakes for him
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 PM

Real quick I'll mention...every local Dealer and DC told him he's reading the Warr Book wrong...yea sure.
I wanted him to take DC right to Small Claims Court right away.
He did send several letters and phone calls to DC...no good. Then he went to our local Court House and they said "oh yea you're covered, we'll take care of it".
What ever they did it turned DC's opinion around and their going to cover it. DC wants all his paper work from the repair.
That's all I know at this time.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:31 AM
P.J
Banned

Yes, he's my neighbor I've known since I was born 1957, in his late 70's but sharp as a whip (kinda) lol.
He's a dear friend, I look after him as much as I can...heck I just did rear brakes for him
Cool. If you are lucky enough when you get older people will look out for you too, but.....probably not.

It's tough getting old anymore.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Updats...

He got the Check...yesterday from DC.
Ok, so he didn't get the full $2,700 back but $1,900.
Reason...(if) the repairs were done at a Dodge dealer he would have got it all, but since Cummins did the repair DC only paid for the parts, no labor.
My neighbor is satisfied...I told him he owes me 1/2
He said a Dinner at Outback...ya know I'm going to eat like a King that night!

PS. some wanted me to copy any paper work from DC however, all communications were done via phone. All they did was send him a Check, no letter > tricky F's.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:56 PM
P.J
Banned

Mmmm, Outback. One of my favorites. A few months ago I choked on a piece of steak in front of the entire restaurant/bar. Everyone at the table just looked at me with a deer in the headlights look, finally my wife was like "STAND UP"! She grabbed me, yoked a few times and there it was......
Anyway, that was embarrassing.

If you haven't yet, get the TUNA, it's ridiculous, better than any piece of steak they offer.

Glad to hear your buddy made out, nothing like saving a guy a few bucks if you can.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Thumbs down

I'm back...
well once again and with very few miles on my neighbors (repaired) truck it's been acting up again.
Doesn't want to start the first few times.
When it does start, and you then put in in 'drive' it dies out > unless you hold the RPM's up.

After Cummins fixed it (remember?) I told my neighbor >Don. I said " you BETTER put a fuel pressure gauge on so you can keep an eye on the fuel pressure"...did he...NOPE!

Soooooo now the problems are starting all over again.
I TOLD him "DON'T RUN THE TRUCK ANYMORE UNTIL IT'S FIXED or YOU STAND THE CHANCE OF HURTING THE IP"...did he listen > nope

He's dead set on just installing another lift pump >but keeps telling me "all the shops say there's a special way of doing it so as not to lose the prime or else it'll never get running again" >*** kind of bs is that ???

So I ask > being it's an electric lift pump, won't it self prime when the key is turned on?
And if not...what's the best way to swap out the lift pumps on his engine.

Thanks for any feedback, Ray

PS my 1988 7.3 IDI just keeps on going and going and going
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm back...
well once again and with very few miles on my neighbors (repaired) truck it's been acting up again.
Doesn't want to start the first few times.
When it does start, and you then put in in 'drive' it dies out > unless you hold the RPM's up.

After Cummins fixed it (remember?) I told my neighbor >Don. I said " you BETTER put a fuel pressure gauge on so you can keep an eye on the fuel pressure"...did he...NOPE!

Soooooo now the problems are starting all over again.
I TOLD him "DON'T RUN THE TRUCK ANYMORE UNTIL IT'S FIXED or YOU STAND THE CHANCE OF HURTING THE IP"...did he listen > nope

He's dead set on just installing another lift pump >but keeps telling me "all the shops say there's a special way of doing it so as not to lose the prime or else it'll never get running again" >*** kind of bs is that ???

So I ask > being it's an electric lift pump, won't it self prime when the key is turned on?
And if not...what's the best way to swap out the lift pumps on his engine.

Thanks for any feedback, Ray

PS my 1988 7.3 IDI just keeps on going and going and going
Plain and simple get some money from him and go buy a gauge and lift pump and then INSTALL THEM BOTH !! Then see where you are at.

If he won't agree to it then tell him "you are on your own this time around"
You can bring the horse to water but you can't make them drink it.

New pump bump the key several times with the plug out of the filter housing until fuel comes out of it.
Put the plug back in then bump the key for 2 more cycles .Then start it up
Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by rattlerbob5.9
Plain and simple get some money from him and go buy a gauge and lift pump and then INSTALL THEM BOTH !! Then see where you are at.

If he won't agree to it then tell him "you are on your own this time around"
You can bring the horse to water but you can't make them drink it.

New pump bump the key several times with the plug out of the filter housing until fuel comes out of it.
Put the plug back in then bump the key for 2 more cycles .Then start it up
Thanks for the responce
Question...the plug in the filter housing > is that were you fellas tap-in for the mechanical gauge?
Again, being electric doesn't it self prime with the key on?

Sometimes trying to explain things to him is like
Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the responce
Question...the plug in the filter housing > is that were you fellas tap-in for the mechanical gauge?
Again, being electric doesn't it self prime with the key on?

Sometimes trying to explain things to him is like
Yes the plugs on the filter are a good place to hook in the gauge one is pre filter the other is post which is what the injection pump receives.

I know you will ask me, if i remember correctly the inner is the post one but i am not 100 percent sure at the moment.

Yes the pump should self prime and the closer you mount it to the fuel tank the better it will work if you really want to do it right.

If this truck is in nice/no rust shape maybe you should just PM me and i can buy it to save you all the trouble of fixing it and dealing with him from now on

Make sure there is a decent amount of fuel in the tank and open the cap it should fill the filter no problem.
You need to bump the starter to get the 20-30 second run time just turning the key on won't do it.

Quick Reply: Need Help for a friend...