24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

That was a miserable job! (and things I learned)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a miserable job! (and things I learned)

I recently decided to sell my truck, and have already posted ads online. Murphy's law requires that something would malfunction at precisely this time, so my fuel level sending unit took a dive. I thought about just listing it as a flaw, and not fixing it, but it just makes sense to do what you can.

Following the advice of some posts here, I sprayed some penetrating oil on the threads 24 hours ahead of time. I then easily removed 3 bolts on the left side of the bed, and loosened 3 on the right. 4 screws easily disconnect the fuel filler tube from the fender wall.

I got a decent amount of tilt by myself, and dropped some blocks in between the bed and the frame rail. (several blocks, as I really didn't like the idea of a guillotine resting above me) I then removed the left inner wheelwell, which gave me good vision of the fuel module.

You really do have to commit yourself to get to this thing. I got the fuel lines off pretty easily, but I couldn't figure out how to release the electrical connector, and broke the tab off connector in the process. For those that don't know it, you have to move the red sliding tab over, then press down on the grey tab. Then the whole grey part of the connector comes off the fuel module. Even with the tab broken, once I figured it out, it came off easily, and reconnected securely.

Then I used a drift to unscrew the cap holding the module, and as expected, it floated up, but I couldn't get it out without more tilting of the bed. I recruited my wife to help pull the module, while I lifted the bed to it's maximum. I don't know what was limiting the tilt, but it took a lot of force to lift it high enough.

The module is a 6" diameter cylinder, over a foot long, and it carries a LOT of fuel when pulled out. This fuel will splash all over you, and your wife when she's helping to remove it while you lift. Luckily she was good sport about it, but your results may vary.

I took the opportunity to clean most of the accumulated sludge off of the module, and the bottom screens, and it wasn't tough to put the new sending unit in the module. It was a little tough to keep it clean during the replacement.

Putting it back in wasn't too tough, as you can compress the cylinder a little bit, requiring less lift on the bed. It then took a few minutes to seat the gasket inside the threaded ring of the tank, and it took a bit of cussing to hold enough force down on the ring, and to twist it enough to get a bite.

Everything else was easy during reassembly. I cycled the LP one time, and had good pressure, and it started right up with no coughing.

If I had to do it again, I would find some way of running the fuel low (the timing didn't allow for it this time). I would also seriously consider disconnecting the tail lights and completely removing the bed, rather than just tilting it. It would certainly be safer, and probably easier if you have one strong friend. With the bed off, most of this work would be pretty easy, and you'd spill a lot less diesel.

I'm still not sure which is easiest, dropping the tank or tilting, but it definitely wasn't the most glamorous work I've done.

Pete
Old 08-01-2007, 05:21 PM

It takes me about 15 minutes nto drop a tank. But I have done a few. This is far easier for me than trying to mess with the bed.

Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 PM

That sounded like a heck of a job!! Now, take your wife out to dinner for being a good sport.

Good post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
It takes me about 15 minutes nto drop a tank. But I have done a few. This is far easier for me than trying to mess with the bed.

Dave
No way. I have done them both ways and I will never drop a tank again. I use my engine hoist and a block of wood with a rag so I do not scratch the paint. Once I get the bed jacked up I use another block of wood to wedge between the frame and the bed for a safety. Then the fuel module comes right out. This way is just as quick and I do not have to do a juggling act to balance a tank full of fuel.