24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Manometer blow by test

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just wanted to post the solution to my problem for anyone that's been following this thread. The mechanic that put the nut on the stud said he used lock tite and he is pretty sure it's not coming off. I was going to redo it my self with some high temp red lock tite because I wasn't able to talk to him directly and don't know exactly what he used, but I decided it wasn't worth messing with it if the mechanic was pretty confident. I didn't want to wrench on it and possibly weaken it but not be able to get it apart and redo it. And I got it torqued to 18ft lbs just fine. My waste gate is also working just fine after spraying it down with PB blaster and letting it sit for a few days. Thanks for the advice on that one Katoom!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Good to know. Keep the thread updated as to how things work out with boost and blowby.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I will post if anything else developes, however the truck is only a daily driver and I don't run it hard so I'm hoping for no other problems for a while. Knock on wood unless that nut flys off and gets sucked in I'm not going to investigate any further for blow by either. I figure no use looking for a problem that probably isn't there. I just wanna enjoy the truck at this point. I've owned it since April and have put less than 2k miles on it in that time because either I or the shop have been working on it!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manometer- amount of liquid

If you have not gotten an answer yet about the amount of liquid. It really does not matter how much you put in. Remember the tube is bent in a U and before you do the test you have to make sure the liquid, oil or water is equal on both sides of the U. When you do this it equals the weight out on both sides of the U so 8 oz or 1 million pounds of liquid on both sides will still equal zero, now when you apply force to one side of the U and not the other it will cause the liquid to move towards the others side. Even slightest force will cause the liquid to move. Please do not get me wrong do not use a millions gallons of liquid but anywhere from 4 to 8 oz is fine just make sure that before you do your test that you have the same amount of liquid going up both sides of your U. I actually have a tape measure going up the inside of the U and make sure the liquid is set at my ZERO Mark on both sides of the U. If I did not describe it good enough just google "Pictures of a oil or water manometer and you will see what I am talking about.