24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

LP Relocated and Winter Weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LP Relocated and Winter Weather

I moved my LP close to the fuel tank 6 months ago using the Vulcan relocation kit. Winter weather (estimated 20° plus temps) is coming in this week and I was wondering if it would be prudent to wrap the LP with some insulation material since it is no longer warmed by engine heat. Just curious if this would make any difference in the operation of the fuel supply system.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Good question. I just moved mine with the same kit and would like some info on that question myself. I am assuming that the pump will never warm itself up due to the fuel running through it will always be coming from the tank cold. I have noticed that on cooler mornings when I start my truck the idle pressure is 15 at first. Then after warming up for a few minutes it hits 16. Then after I get to town, 20 minutes later, the pressure reads 17 at idle. I'm thinking that the pump warms itself up a little bit when the fuel in the tank isn't too cold, but I don't think it will ever warm itself in below freezing weather. We are due an ice storm this Thursday according to some of the weather men around here. Their predictions are like OSU's chance to win the National Title in Football, so we'll see. If it gets cold and I have any troubles I'll let you know.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 PM
JAX

Just reroute the exhaust right under the fuel pump...............oh, wait, nm, I guess that's not such a great idea after all
Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Chapter President

I've been through 3 winters without issue, granted these are NC winters, nothing colder than 16 degrees if memory serves.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Down here in the south, it should work just fine as it is. If you're still worried about it, just add some PS with the anti-gel.

On mine, when the grid heaters kick on, it pulls the amp meter and the fp down. After it warms up, both return to normal.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike D
I've been through 3 winters without issue, granted these are NC winters, nothing colder than 16 degrees if memory serves.
Cool. Us Okies think it is colder than the dickens when it gets below 50! We see some teens but if we do, it is only for a day or so. We usually stay around 30 to 40 F when it is really bad. You'll have to talk to Dr. Evil if you want to hear about cold. I'd die if I had to move to Canada! Brrrrrr!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:01 PM

It was -31F here overnight last night.

Dodge started but wasn't super happy about it after being plugged in for an hour.

Don't worry about Dr Evil though, it is warm where he is at "Hell With No Chance of Getting Out"

Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tool
It was -31F here overnight last night.

Dodge started but wasn't super happy about it after being plugged in for an hour.

Don't worry about Dr Evil though, it is warm where he is at "Hell With No Chance of Getting Out"

That was a good one! I forgot about his sig!

-31F? Holy crap! Now that's cold. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to walk outside. Maybe I'll go back to testing and get the nitrogen bottle out and do some testing!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
At -40 to -45 here in the cultural hub of the universe, my Glacier Diesel Power GSL-392 LP has performed flawlessly. It is exposed on the framerail, with no heat anywhere close to it.
I have had hassles with the JIC fittings leaking, but I am working to solve that. it appears to be a cool weather related issue to some extent, and definitely not enough to discourage use of this system. I will post the solution to the cold weather leakage issues just as soon as I can get the time to fix them.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just read a book that was a true story of the B.C. area they were saying it used to get so cold trees exploded!

Back to subject this is a concern with me too that and i am wondering about driving though high sage with the relo kits. What is keeping me from doing the relo is I am worried cause I drive though high sage brush and weeds and such driving in the pastures and wheat fields and worried about pulling something off. And also the winter weather we can see 20s and down for months on end.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:59 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Granted, the FASS isn't the same as the stock LP, but it went all last winter no probs, and its done well so far this year. If you're only getting into the 20F as a seasonal low, there shouldn't even be a concern.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:22 PM

Was -44 here today with wind chill. It's been in this area for a few days now temp wise.

My relocated Carter lift pump is purring along with no problems. Truck sat for 10 hours today not plugged in. It protested a bit when I went to fire it up but I got fuel pressure as soon as I turned the key.

I run a good shot of additive also so I'm sure that helps also.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Homestead
Was -44 here today with wind chill. It's been in this area for a few days now temp wise.

Jeff
-44! My truck might start, but it would be going without me!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:04 PM

Last year when I installed my Vulcan relo kit, it dropped a few feet of snow and the high temps were about 19*F. My truck didn't have any problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

You know what they say, if it ain't broke......

HTHs,

Joe
Old 11-28-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
-44! My truck might start, but it would be going without me!
Windchill was even worse today !!! Brr....

Quick Reply: LP Relocated and Winter Weather