24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Low Fuel psi, strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Fuel psi, strange problem

Hi all. Well im just getting my new rig onto the road, its a 2002 CTD 6 speed, 4x4, quad cab, long box. truck only has 94,000 kms on it. Replaced the fuel filter, and got a new campaign pump as the previous pressure at idle was 7 psi. Now with the new campaign pump, im only seeing 10 psi at idle, and drops to 7 or so when u rev it round 2300. I dont had a gauge in the truck yet, these readings are all takin off the valve at the vp.
Now im taking diesel mechanics at school, and i talked to my teacher bout this. He sugggested to blow the line out incase of a restriction from the pump to the tank, did that. No change, maybe .5 psi. It should be higher than this, correct? truck runs and drives fine, with lots of power. I just want to up the pressure a little. All opinions welcome, thanks.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:10 AM

I have had brand new LP's that only put out 10 psi at idle.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr_Mopar
Hi all. Well im just getting my new rig onto the road, its a 2002 CTD 6 speed, 4x4, quad cab, long box. truck only has 94,000 kms on it. ... Now with the new campaign pump, im only seeing 10 psi at idle,
Is the Campaign Pump the same as the factory Carter lift pump? For some reason I thought they were different models?
GET a Big Line Kit (or make one) with replacements for the banjo bolts. Cheapest way to hang on to max fuel pressure as you accelerate. Bigger reservoir in 1/2" lines and better flow with different bolts does a lot of good up to about 450 HP!

RJ
Old 11-28-2006, 04:26 PM

Not sure if the Campaign pumps are the same as the regular pumps or not, some say yes, others say no. They certainly don't cost the same, $200 vs. $60.

I just installed a Campaign pump on my 01 a few months ago and I get about 14psi at idle, and about 10psi under full acceleration. If your gauge is accurate, then 10psi at idle is a bit low, but still acceptable, the Dodge factory manual says that 10psi at idle is the minimum acceptable pressure. However, if your fuel pressure drops below 5-6psi under full acceleration, then you should consider an aftermarket fuel pump, like the FASS or Walbro, or even a big line kit would help. Get a fuel pressure gauge in the cab ASAP, and don't use an isolator, they are junk.

Oh, and welcome aboard, fill out your sig so we can tell what you have.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:08 AM

em, so i guess a big line kit and some gauges are necessary, any ideas tho of what to check for this pressure problem, or would you all just leave it since its not that low?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Mopar
em, so i guess a big line kit and some gauges are necessary, any ideas tho of what to check for this pressure problem, or would you all just leave it since its not that low?
Definatly get a gauge! A VP and pump cost $2000 to replace.
I always say get a FASS and don't waste your time trying to save a couple $$ by messing around with all those cheap pumps and fuel lines, you'll still end up with a FASS.
I had 2 customers recently add FASS after repeatedly messing around with campaign pumps, big line kits, etc..... all the time and $$$ spent on them would cover the cost of a FASS.
Remeber "I told you so".
Old 12-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Definatly get a gauge! A VP and pump cost $2000 to replace.
I always say get a FASS and don't waste your time trying to save a couple $$ by messing around with all those cheap pumps and fuel lines, you'll still end up with a FASS.
I had 2 customers recently add FASS after repeatedly messing around with campaign pumps, big line kits, etc..... all the time and $$$ spent on them would cover the cost of a FASS.
Remeber "I told you so".
I just spent $170 on a new lp and it still is low psi 13 idle 8 wot. should have got a fass""""""""'
Old 12-15-2006, 07:03 PM

or a warlbro 392, i love mine, i get 18 psi at idle and CANNOT drop it below 15 psi no matter how i try.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ridiculous
or a warlbro 392, i love mine, i get 18 psi at idle and CANNOT drop it below 15 psi no matter how i try.
Yes the Warlbro is gerotor style pump as is the FASS. You could just get the FASS II pump, around the same kit price, but you lose the benefit of the FASS.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 PM

Yes the Warlbro is gerotor style pump as is the FASS. You could just get the FASS II pump, around the same kit price, but you lose the benefit of the FASS.
what do you mean that you lose the benefit of the fass? just didn't understand that statement
Old 12-15-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ridiculous
what do you mean that you lose the benefit of the fass? just didn't understand that statement
FASS = Fuel Air Seperator System! a big benefit.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try another gauge on your tester. The testers generally have a 0-160 psi and are not very accurate at the lower range we run. A 0-30 should be more accurate.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:40 PM

FASS = Fuel Air Seperator System! a big benefit.
The fuel air separator function of the FASS does not exist on the HPFP (FASS II) and the price for the HPFP pump is nowhere close to the cost of a Walbro system, like the AFS Big Dog Fuel System. Add a couple of hundred dollars and you'd be closer!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by piperca
The fuel air separator function of the FASS does not exist on the HPFP (FASS II) and the price for the HPFP pump is nowhere close to the cost of a Walbro system, like the AFS Big Dog Fuel System. Add a couple of hundred dollars and you'd be closer!
thanks man, that's what i thought.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by piperca

Both complete kits, Warlbro or FASS II, cost in the $300-$400 range.
Right?
I know you can just buy a Warlbro pump for what $129 then add a big line kit, mounting kit and then fuel pressure regulator will put you in the $300-$400 range. For a couple hundred more you can get the real FASS! with fuel/air and water seperators.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel psi, strange problem