24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Loosing too much sleep making a decision (vp44)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Loosing too much sleep making a decision (vp44)

02 dodge 2500 everything is stock with 106k miles.

Background:
Several months ago I was going to pass a slow car and experienced what is called the dead pedal. Let off the pedal a little and power came back. Got home and changed the fuel filter.

Now days I experience the dead pedal, usually between 55-60mph a couple of times per week. Also in the past week or so every now and then after I start the truck when I start to take off, I have no power. Let off the pedal and power returns.

I turned the ignition key on 3 times to get the codes and I have the P0216.

Questions:
1) Is it vp44 and lp time, or could it be the APPS?

2) If vp44 and lp time, who should I buy the vp44 from? blue chip, mwfi, industrial injection, pensicola diesel, etc...? What are your experiences with these companies and their rebuilds? Is the $$ for the blue chip worth it?

3) Should I just replace the lp with another one just like it or go with a different one like fass, etc...?

4) Should I install a fuel pressure guage or light in the cab? Do I need one if I go with say the fass lp?

Thanks,
-steve
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by steve-in-ga

Questions:

2) If vp44 and lp time, who should I buy the vp44 from? blue chip, mwfi, industrial injection, pensicola diesel, etc...? What are your experiences with these companies and their rebuilds? Is the $$ for the blue chip worth it?

3) Should I just replace the lp with another one just like it or go with a different one like fass, etc...?

4) Should I install a fuel pressure guage or light in the cab? Do I need one if I go with say the fass lp?

Thanks,
-steve
The first thing you need is a fuel pressure guage. That will tell you what shape your lift pump is in basically.
I would reset the apps and see if that helps.
I would do both of those before anything.
I personally wouldn't touch a pump that is still hauling you around unless you have the money and just want to throw one on there to rule it out or use the truck for business,traveling with family, livestock, ect.
After you do the first two things I suggested it will be easier to diagnose.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM

ditto on the FP gauge. when my LP was going out i did get the dead pedal (although not as much as you) and after changing it, well....(dont want to jinx myself)
Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Forgot to mention that I already tried the APPS reset procedure I found on this forum. Unfortunately, no help.

I thought about running the pump until it died. Will doing this cause any other damage other than stranding me on the road?

As for the fuel pressure gauge, where would I buy one and how hard is it to hook up to my stock system? How hard is it to get the guage into the cab where it can be mounted for monitoring? Forgive these newbie questions...

thanks again,
-steve
Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Go ahead and bite bullet. If you do job, get it from Penscoloa Diesel along with lift pump. Otherwise get local diesel shop with several DODGE's parked around to do job. Many are very competive on job.
After all the fluf on pump reman units. They are all built to BOSCH specs, not much more, not much less. The warranty is probablly the same, just the price is real difference.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by steve-in-ga
02 dodge 2500 everything is stock with 106k miles.

Background:
Several months ago I was going to pass a slow car and experienced what is called the dead pedal. Let off the pedal a little and power came back. Got home and changed the fuel filter.

Now days I experience the dead pedal, usually between 55-60mph a couple of times per week. Also in the past week or so every now and then after I start the truck when I start to take off, I have no power. Let off the pedal and power returns.

I turned the ignition key on 3 times to get the codes and I have the P0216.

Questions:

Thanks,
-steve

Install an Industrial Injection IIHRVP44 and a AirDog fuel system, on sale right now!
Your truck will run 75hp better!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:58 PM

According to Blue Tech Diesel, the 216 code indicates that the pump is mechanically worn out and can't obtain full advance.
http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 PM

Had the same problems with my truck last year in May. If I were you I would do everything right now........we replaced the VP44, then couple months later ended up having problems again and put in the LP and gauges.....after replacing VP again....it had a defect. I went thru mwfi to get my VP44, I had no problems with the company. I honestly didn't shop around, my buddy said to call them and I did. We also replaced the LP. I got the basic FASS LP (not the one with all the filters) it mounted on the side of the frame mid-line. We also bought the triple pillar and gauges mounted right where the grab handle is on the drivers side it looks like it always belonged there! You can get the pillar with or with out the speaker (FASS pump, gauges and pillar were all bought from genosgarage.com they are REALLY nice and helped a bunch!!!!!!!!!!) Take care! Hope this helps some!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 AM

P0216
Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure

Definatly get something to measure fuel pressure. Before I had the gauges I had a low pressure led. When it came on the shop told me they would check it with a gauge before replacing the lp becouse they said half the time its a faulty sending unit for the led. I think you'd be happier with a gauge then the led. There are lots of places to get gauges I got mine from dieselmanor.com. It was a good kit and easy to install.

When you check your fuel pressure if it goes below 6psi you'll need to replace the lp. Fass or Airdogs are both good systems fass is a bit more money but they both do a good job.

If you are planning on changing the vp44 on your own, I think I would find the place that sells them cheapest becouse they are all built within specs. Do a search on here somewhere there is a very informative video of how to do the vp swap.

From what I have heard I wouldn't go with a hotrod vp44. I have heard that they can have a very rough idle. I think you would be better off with a regular vp44 and then some sort of chip if you were interested in more power later.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 AM

Fuel Pressure Gauge on its way....

Just purchased a Diprical electric FP guage with a tapped banjo. Is it better to use the banjo at the inlet to the IP or at the exit of the fuel filter canister (under the bottom of the canister) to connect the sending unit? The current banjo at the IP inlet has a shrader valve on it. Is it ok to get rid of this if I replace it with the tapped bajo and install the sending unit?

thanks,
-steve
Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Remove schrader valve on VP44 and screw on the sending unit since your truck is '02. Easy and accurate reading there!