24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump installation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump installation question

I just installed a new lift pump. Very simple. It appears that there isn't any need to bleed the system as the filter should take care of this. However I started the engine and it ran for about 15 sec and now it won't start again. My truck had the associated problems with code # P0216 so I replaced the lift pump to start there. Its a 2002 Dodge ram 2500 diesel.

Scott
Old 01-05-2005, 06:10 PM

You need to prime the filter assy as well as "bump" the engine over but don't start it. This will allow the lift pump a 25 -30 second run time to come up to pressure to the vp44. With the 0216 code your vp44 may have done the donut and expelled its last drop of diesel juice to the engine. You might have to bump it more than once. If it still doesn't start, crack #1 & 3 injectors to see if you are getting fuel to them.

Good luck and hope your vp hasn't withered,

Gary
Old 01-05-2005, 07:39 PM

I have bumped it several times. I even hooked an extra cord that was supplied so that the pump could run for several minutes as cummins advised (sort of). I did check polarity by trying the old pump first. I also replaced the fuel filter.

I have verified that fuel gets to the VP 44(diesel bath) I have opened a few injecters however no fuel is coming out of them. I am looking at what should be obvious at this point. It just puzzles me that I drove this truck to cummings to get the part and after changing it......it won't run!

Is the Vp 44 engine driven? Or electrical? I guess this is my next big purchase. Any advise on where to buy one? I have heard that they can be gotten as low as $800.00 however I havent had any luck with that.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 08:13 PM

I did the same thing during my first filter change. Truck started ran a couple seconds then quit. Bumped the started, ran the pump like 6 times. Still no start, loosened #1 and I believe #3. bumped it again like 2 more times then tried starting a couple more times. On like the 3rd time started getting fuel at the injectors. Snugged the injectors line a little tighter, still just under hand tight. (prolly had them too loose in the first place) Tried starting it, It started starting, running just barlely above the starter speed, but it did kick off and run way rough, till I tightened, the injectors lines back up. I had to do this both times I changed the filter, and another time when my fuel gauge quit reading E. (It lied said I still had 1/8 tank)
Old 01-05-2005, 08:31 PM

2500 CTD,

Are you saying that I am not going far enough? I am having a VERY hard time believing that I woke up this morning and baught a new lift pump then my VP 44 also just quit at the same time! This just doesn't make sense to me.

After reading your post....I think that I am getting that your VP 44 was fine after a while. You just had to nurse the whole thing back.

I must admit that after changing the LIFT PUMP, I jusmped in and started my engine....thus having the same start and run sequence that you seemed to have.

Maybe there is hope? Or Check out my EBAY sale....Dodge Ram for sale....needs minor work!

Thanks

Scott
Old 01-05-2005, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boy that diag you were ******* at the dealer is starting to look better all the time. Grab a 3/4 wrench and crack the #1 and #3 injector lines loose up at the head (just a little loose). Have someone turn the key to start and crank the engine for a bit. You should get fuel spurting out after a bit. When you see the fuel tighten the lines and it should take off. It may sound like a box of rocks for a bit, but just give it a little pedal and it will clear the air from the system. Give it a try.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:54 AM

yeah, the guys at the dealer know their stuff but not without giving me the empty wallet blues! My pockets are sewn shut! I am out $150 at the moment. That is about $1 per thousand miles. I love my Dodge.....even if it don't run. I ain't no traiter!

I'll try the #1 and #3 thing in the morning. I did do this but I thought if a little was good then a lot looser should be better!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:33 AM

It's alive! This morning the battery had to be charged (turning over all day yesterday) While that was being done, I bumped the starter about 20 times like advised before. I closed the injectors and then opened #1 &#3 just a crack. After a couple of seconds it fired right up! Clackety ckack. I closed them and it smothed right out. I drove it around and it has a renewed spunk!

I am aware that a few people here have said that after about 250 miles the new lift pump then destroyed the VP 44. I reset my odometer and now I am waiting to see if that is going to happen to me as well.

THANKS THANKS THANKS for all your help!!!!

Scott
Old 01-07-2005, 01:43 AM

Glad you got it going. I don't think anyone has associated a bad VP with a new lift pump....but a bad lift pump will kill the VP which sometimes gets found out a tad later.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:39 PM

I talked with the rebuild facility friday. I was ready to put out the money for an exchange. The guy said that if it were an older one he would have had me do it. he said the newer ones have been changed so that they are tougher. Mine is a 2002. He said call if I have any problems....I am sure he didn't pass up my $1200 for nothing. I believe him. I explained to him that I am on the road alot. It would have taken just a word and I would have bought!

Scott
Old 01-11-2005, 09:34 AM

yea my lift pump died last week, didnt have time to take the comp box out over the weekend, so they gave me the big V. Oh yea and for them "lookin at it" i gotta pay them 22 bucks. Whats the holley replacement #
Old 01-18-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by PDXDodge
he said the newer ones have been changed so that they are tougher. Mine is a 2002.
Scott
So what years got the "newer" ones. I have ran mine out of fuel twice so far. 87K on her. Out of warranty, so wondering if I luck out, or just missed the better style ones. No probs so far, but I also dont have a FP gauge yet.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned

2500ctd,

Your engine has a 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty which ever one comes first.

I think all the vp44 are interchangable it's just that the later built ones are suppose to be a little better than the earlier built ones.