24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump caused injector pump to go bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry lift pump caused injector pump to go bad

Here it goes. You guys have probably heard it all before, but I don't have time... I am using cell phone to get online and it is using up my minutes. A buddy of mine let me try a Hypertech performance chip thing with 3 stages in it. We loaded stage three, I was following some friends to one of there houses to help build a garage when I pulled out of an intersection got on it a little to see what difference I would notice and it went good for about 20 yards then the truck shut down. Towed to Dodge garage after reinstalling stock settings and the four codes that popped up....p0253,p1688,p0254,p1693.(I know what these mean so no need to inform me on that)The Dodge garage says the lift pump failed causing the injector pump to burn up....$2300!!!!You mean to tell me if my wife runs me on empty or the wear item lift pump fails again which they do in every kind of vehicle out there, maby even a week after installing a new one it will fry my injecto pump. Something is major wrong with this picture. I had it towed home. Now I am already about $250 dollars down with towing and diagnostics. I want to know what is the best lift pump and injector pump to buy, and the best price. Dodge dealer says they quit making the lift pump and instead now have a conversion kit you put in the fuel tank for $380. I read a post where a fellow cummins owner got an upgraded....whatever that means....injector pump from cumminsstuff.com for $950. If I install myself all of what I need, what is going to keep it from happening again. Truck now has 102000 miles on it so engine warranty just expired. Will Dodge help me out here? I love the truck but am I going to have to go back to Ford? I bought the truck for longjevity, My gassers are starting to look like they will last longer. I can't afford this. Help..
Old 07-26-2005, 09:17 AM

there are many ways to remedy the stock LP situation.

I chose a vulcan relocation kit for the LP when I replaced mine. $120 for the kit and awesome customer service. It moves the LP down to tank level, so it never 'pulls' the fuel, it just pushes. I recommend it.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:05 AM

I hear you on this. Also just purchased my Dodge CTD, and have been quite dissapointed in with this enitre fuel system issue. For me it was too late to turn back......so I've ordered the Vulcan kit and a new carter LP. (Only too find out a day later that an in-tank conversion kit is available)

I'm hoping to install the big line kit, with the new pump and be ok for quite a while.

Looks to me like simply a poor design.......I guess ford and chev have had a few poor designs too. (Just not many that add up to $2300!)
Old 07-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup exactly what I'm thinking, I'm going tonite again to test my 3rd lift pump. I'm lucky cause I still have warrenty but when its done is going to be a problem. I'm working on a letter to send to DC and cummins about my pump problems, I didnt buy a new 50G truck to keep pouring money into replacement parts because the of bad design.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:11 PM

Turbowhine;

Did you have a FP gauge installed in the truck? This seems to be a pretty critical guage as far as your IP is concerned.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: lift pump caused injector pump to go bad

Originally posted by loveturbowine
Truck now has 102000 miles on it so engine warranty just expired. Will Dodge help me out here?
If you find a good Dealer, you might have a chance.
You have a good argument for the lift pump going out prior to the warranty expiration.
2K over warranty isn't that much.

phox