24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intermittent Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Hesitation

At steady throddle on level road I have an intermittent hesitation. The best way I can explain is it's like a plug is trying to foul out on a gas burner. It dosen't do it all the time. I drove it hard the other day at about 3000 rpm for about a mile and it quit for about a week. Could it be injectors or carbon build-up. I checked codes and there was none. There is no problem with acceration, you can put your foot in it and it goes with no hesitation at all.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 PM

I have had the same thing happen to me about three different times now over the last 2 years. I currently have the problem again and each of the times before I have done a apps reset and seems to solve the problem. I'm going to give it a try for the third time and hope for the best.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I have had the same thing happen to me about three different times now over the last 2 years. I currently have the problem again and each of the times before I have done a apps reset and seems to solve the problem. I'm going to give it a try for the third time and hope for the best.
Mountaineer, I have reset the apps also and it re-occurs.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:46 PM

Yea, mine re-occurs too, but like how long does it take it to re-occur.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 PM

I am no mechanic but mine used to buck every now and then at steady throttle and it was the lift pump failed and if I had known that then I may have been able to save my injection pump.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:34 PM

When it first started I thought IP but I don't have a dead pedal. Don't think it would be the LP because I have 12 to 14 lbs of fuel pressure. I have steady boost pressure. The only other thing I could think of was an injector maybe.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:20 PM

I have a similar problem but mine only happens at very slow speed at constant throttle almost like idling through a parking lot. my truck starts to buck until I give it a little fuel, then every thing is fine. No problems during regular driving. I'm thinking mine is trans related but I'm not sure. First time it happened I changed LP and It happened again so we'll see.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Harbor Diesel
I have a similar problem but mine only happens at very slow speed at constant throttle almost like idling through a parking lot. my truck starts to buck until I give it a little fuel, then every thing is fine. No problems during regular driving. I'm thinking mine is trans related but I'm not sure. First time it happened I changed LP and It happened again so we'll see.

I have the same problem too seems to be at or under 1000 RPMS, hopefully someone knows a fix, I might try resetting the APPS.... Who knows, its worth a try!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:25 AM

Yea I don't think it's fuel pressure either. I have anywhere from 14 to 10 during normal driving and it still does it.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:54 AM

Count me in on this thread as having the same problem.

Rough idle / bucking at low RPM's. In the past I have been able to run some "Power Service" though a tank and it would settle it down. I've tried the same approach this time and no change in rough idle / bucking behavior.

As stated above by others, good Fuel Pressure (installed a FASS about a month ago).

I have reset the APPS sensor with no change as well.

help...
Old 12-09-2006, 07:48 AM

I've run some cetane boost and injector cleaner and it seems to help for a while but it comes back. I don't have a rough idle or bucking behavior, only the slight hesitation and it's 16 to 18 hundred RPM's.
From everybody else's post's it does sound like a problem. It's probably something simple. I am still considering changeing the injectors but if someone comes up with a simple fix I'll wait on that for a while.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Exclamation Lack of response

I have a simular problem. Mine is also intermittent. At take off, it will be at idle speed, even though I have the accelerator pushed to the floor. No bucking or anything else. It will then catch up and run okay. I can be running 55mph and push on the accelerator and there is no pick up. It reminds me of a relay or some electrical problem. Yesteday I was running on cruise control and the speed dropped and all of a sudden, it took off and bought me up to the speed that I had the cruise set at. I carried it to the Dodge dealer and wasted $180. They could find nothing wrong and on the way home, just to add insult to injury, it done it again. I have no idea. I am going to try to clean most of the electrical terminals and will change the lift pump next week. Will try anything and will post replies, if I find something that works.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by msgtdave
I have a simular problem. Mine is also intermittent. At take off, it will be at idle speed, even though I have the accelerator pushed to the floor. No bucking or anything else. It will then catch up and run okay. I can be running 55mph and push on the accelerator and there is no pick up. It reminds me of a relay or some electrical problem. Yesteday I was running on cruise control and the speed dropped and all of a sudden, it took off and bought me up to the speed that I had the cruise set at. I carried it to the Dodge dealer and wasted $180. They could find nothing wrong and on the way home, just to add insult to injury, it done it again. I have no idea. I am going to try to clean most of the electrical terminals and will change the lift pump next week. Will try anything and will post replies, if I find something that works.
Your problem sounds like the intermittent dead pedal that many have experienced. It can often be a symptom of a failing injector pump.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM

MSGTDAVE Your problem sounds just like mine did at 48k miles when the injector pump went out. If you check your codes it should tell you. The lift pump went south and I only had 3lbs of fuel pressure. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge I would suggest you get one after you change your LP. Hope everything works out for you.