24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intermittent Dead Pedal and VP44 pump

Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Dead Pedal and VP44 pump

Hi Guys,

I have a problem that I would like some second opinions on.
First, I have had the truck since new and have no problems other than a lift pump failing some six years ago - which was replaced immediately as I had a spare. No error codes showed when Ichecked for them.

A couple of months ago maybe (not exactly sure) I thought I detected some slight speed variations when the truck was idling. Last week I experienced some dead pedal for a short time but it cleared up after a short time driving and I manageed to drive home some 50 miles with no further problems.

Yesterday I checked for codes using the ingition key and came up with
P. PCU
P1693
P done
P.ECU
P0216
P done.

From what I can gather I have I the generic P1693 code indicating ECU code and the P0216 being VP44 injection pump timing problem - badly worn VP ?

I have around 92,000 km or 55,000 miles on the truck, so in theory the pump should last longer than that ?
If the lift pump was gone and the fuel flow reduced, culd this actually cause a P0216 ?
I do have a spare lift pump but do not have fuel pressure gauge (truck is completely stock and I have had it since new) though I will get one.
So I am assuming installing the new lift pump would be a good thing - would it help with the P0216 code (more fuel flow etc. ) ?
One other thing, the truck xhaust does sound a little different but that could be my imagination too.

So far all I have done is disconnect the batteries for four hours and then reconnected and test drove. I still have a dead pedal for a short period of time and then the truck drives normally after that.

Any thoughtsguys - my head is swimming from reading up on the different posts and it is far too easy to panic and throw money at it and get nowhere.
I'm retired so $$$ is a real consideration for me.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

mariner
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
All I can tell you is Dodge says it can in the FSM, and I have a friend with an 02 that had 0216 and a dead lift pump. Changed the LP, had to use WD40 to get her lit off again ( IP would NOT pump at first ) and that was in 2008 or 2009, same IP still running fine, no codes shown.

I don't think that is the "normal" failure shown by 0216 ( if there is such a thing ), but I have seen it first hand.

Get a gauge on so you know what you have, could be other things as well restricting flow.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM

I would get a gauge and check the fuel psi asap. The 216 code can be simply be caused by a bad fuel pump relay. Can you hear the lift pump running? If you are gonna install a new lift pump I highly recommend you go aftermarket such as fass.

The 1693 means there is other codes in the system. Get a code reader to find out what the rest of the codes are.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Good advice above. I have also seen a P0216 caused by lack of fuel pressure, and did not return once the fuel pressure was restored. I would definitely verify that the lift pump and filter are working well and see if the fault returns.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Yestrday I installed the new fuel lift pump and had aboslutely no trouble starting the engine. It fired up straight away after allowing time for the pump to fill itself with diesel. I didn't yet take it for a drive on the highway - will do that today.

I did try to check for codes with my OBDII scanning tool and all I could get was a "link error" show up. This is a new tool purchased last year and was used for the first time yesterday - naturally I can't fiind the receipt for it duh !

So it looks like I will need to get someone else to scan the truck to download the codes I need. If by chance their scanners get a "link error" show, then the chances are that I could have a wiring (harness) problem - possibly chafed wires or connectors corroded/dirty. Does that sound a reasonable assumption ?

Because of the fickle nature of the electrical wiring on these truck, is it safe to assume that wiring faults could cause bogus conditions and the engine responds to the signals it receives - even bogus ones ?

Not trying to wish for problem to go away, but need to be aware that it might just be possible that one could end up chasing problems that are not there - i.e. VP44 not bad but bad signals sent to the PCM/ECM giving sysmptoms of problems.

Just trying to get some opinions on what next to expect. Will need to get some tests done by qualified mechanics. But if they experience the "link error" then possibly wiring could very likely be the culprit.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM

A bad ground, especially a bad ECM/PCM ground will cause all kinds of problems because the computer is seeing a value that is not correct for the condition and it is reacting to the false condition and not the real world action.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM

I took the truck into town Friday - 40 miles each way with steep hills. The truck performed very well and I had no further problems.
Today I installed fittings on the VP44 - changed the banjo bolt and hooked up a pressure gauge.
@ idle 750 rpm and fuel pressure of 13 psi.
@ 2000 rpm fuel pressure 10 psi both readings with no load - done in my workshop with a wooden stick between accelerator pedal and drivers seat.
The new fuel pump I installed was a Carter replacement. At least I have more than the minimum 5psi so for now, it looks like I am ok for the short term. Obviously this is only for as long as the VP44 keeps going. Will need to look at getting an improved pump (airdog, fass ?)

The fuel pressure were taken with the fuel gauge hooked up locally (sitting on top of the battery clamp) when readings were taken. I need some more fittings and a case/cover for the pressure gauge to put it in the cab - these I will buy this week when I visit town. I still need to clear the old problem codes so I can determine of there are further problems.
Thanks