24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intake Horn Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Horn Question

On the manafold where we have our little aluminum intake horn at. I know that Banks makes a dual intake horn, but does anybody else? Is it worth looking into, or should I leave that alone? I never hear enyone talk much about that problem.<br><br>Ok when you build boost it pressurizes the intake up to a certain poundeg. Mine is 30#, so that would mean I have 30# of pressure equal in all directions. If that was the case, then the back cylinder would get as much air as the middle.<br><br>Folks, I haven't heard much disscusion on this topic before, here or the TDR. I just want to know if I'm wasteing my brain cells on the issue or not.<br><br>Kimrey
Old 11-26-2002, 07:51 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Re:Intake Horn Question

I remember a thread quite a while ago about this on the TDR. The general consensus was that it would look great (some even polished and chromed it) but as far as performance gains little if any due to the pressurized air from the turbo.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:31 AM

On newwer trucks, they can't use the Banks twinram you mentioned. It's due to then injector pump, lines routing issue. That's why Banks did the high ram or whatever they call it. <br><br>The twinram was great at getting similar air temps across the valve faces, but I think when the turbo gets spooled up and starts pushing air, it doesn't really matter.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:45 PM

30 lbs is 30 lbs. The dual horn gives you more capacity at 30 lbs. Think of it this way: Pressurize a 1/4 inch line to 30 lbs and let it off through a 1/4 inch fitting. Empties quick. Now pressurize a 2 inch line to 30 lbs and let it off through a 1/4 inch line. Takes a few seconds to empty. With a dual horn, you get the added volume of the second horn and that is all. Pressure is constant throughout the system at that point anyway and the turbo is obviously producing plenty of replacement air as needed. Don't worry about the dual horn system (or lack of it).
Old 11-26-2002, 06:29 PM

That's what I thought. You can get better volume, but I wasn't sure if volume was needed as well as pressure. Thank's for all the input. I will leave it stock!<br><br>Kimrey
Old 11-27-2002, 06:00 PM

Yeah, the additional volume is probably a half gallon of air. Maybe a gallon. I haven't calculated it from the size.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:15 AM

I ran a Banks High Ram on my 99. And sorry to say it cost me some HP. It looked good though. I dynoed several times with and without it and it was running 10-15 HP lower than the stock horn. I have since removed it and sold it.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:37 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

777 is dead right. We dyno a solid 12HP loss with the Banks High Ram on his truck. Over 10 good back to back dyno runs on two different days was all the proof we needed.<br><br>The air is being allowed to loose velocity with the big baloon in the Banks High Ram and is then forced to be squeezed down again to enter the smaller plenum opening in the manifold plate. This takes work and we are experiencing a pumping loss. A 12 HP pumping loss <br><br>Plus its much easier to change out injectors 10 times or so without wrestling the thing eveytime to get it removed.<br><br>Don~
Old 11-28-2002, 01:11 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I think that adding up some volume could make sense if it was very close to the intake valves. if you use a longer pipe you'll get a lower resonance frequency which can be used to gain some low end torque. <br>Small diesels over here use variable length induction for geting a wider torque band. As far as I've seen the Banks intake I doubt that it will have the right resonance characteristics fot this application. But it shure looks cool.<br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 11-28-2002, 08:05 PM

Lose power . I didn't realize that you could loose power with that horn. I would think that would have helped? Well I know I wont look into getting one! Anyone else with this experince?
Old 11-28-2002, 09:18 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, like Alpine said, if the air was right above the intake runner/ valve area a gain might be seen. Other than that....the High Ram just makes the air have to work to baloon and then contract back down to the manifold plate. A larger plenum area is what is needed. Generally you size a plenum about 3 times the volume of one cylinder per stroke. This is very general though.<br><br>Don~
Old 11-29-2002, 09:03 AM

What a surprise. A Banks product not doing as advertised. Make you wonder about their other products. ;D ;D I already know the answer to that questions.... <br><br>Diclaimer: not affliated with Banks or other vendors.<br><br>Charles
Old 11-29-2002, 07:05 PM

;D But it shure looks cool 8)<br><br>Personally I don't think that even DC wouldn't improve on a part this simple if it gave you any advantage at stock or somewhat higher power levels. <br>If you go up the power ladder pretty far I think that there could be benefits from a completely redesigned intake system. But at these rpm we talk about here I think that a whole lot of things like cams, pumps, turbos, pistons etc would come first. Even if this gizmo gave you less restriction and therefore more pressure in the intake plenum on a stock truck it would just lead to some earlier defueling due to the higher MAP reading.<br><br>Just my 2c of practical thinking ( Dunno maybe about US$ XXX at some vendor)<br>AlpineRAM
Old 11-30-2002, 04:32 PM
Banned

I'm working on polishing mine up to a mirror like shine. It's coming along pretty good. Working on it in my spare time. I'll take pics of it for yall once I get it done. I also got really bored and polished the inside of it up. I know it won't do anything but I was REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY bored. Now it's all shiny. ;D :
Old 12-01-2002, 03:36 PM

;D BB ;D

The original BB polished intake horn will give you better low end torque, lowered EGT's and at least 40% increased fuel mileage. ( As long as you have polished the outside with a blue Indonesian sheep and extrude honed the inside with penguins.)

;D
AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Intake Horn Question