24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector lines won't stop leaking!! Thread sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Injector lines won't stop leaking!! Thread sealant?

Hi everyone,

My story is a very long one so I'm just going to cut the the important part. I recently had my local diesel shop pull my vp44 to replace my tappet cover gasket. After I got it back I had fuel lines leaking where they enter the head. I took it back to the shop and after about three or four different times and a couple new fuel lines and delivery tubes, their solution was to put thread sealant on the ones that wouldn't stop leaking. IS THIS THE RIGHT ANSWER??? It seems just dead wrong to me. I am seriously thinking about tearing them apart myself and taking some scotch bright or sandpaper to the lines and tubes and just keep at it till I get it fixed. The one mechanics explanation for using the thread sealant was that because my engine is old(250,000 miles), fuel is seeping through the threads/head. But there should be fuel at the threads should there??? shouldn't the line and tube be sealing together?? and yes the did replace the o rings on the tubes. please give me some guidance here guys this really has me ****** off!
Old 08-04-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
There is most likely crud, and/or wear on the tapered seats on the ends of the lines. Take the lines off and inspect them carefully. If you see ugliness, it can normally be buffed out with scotch brite and patience. Just be sure to get all the residue off after, and blow the lines out. After checking the seat on the crossover tubes, reassemble carefully, and tighten to spec. You should be fine.