24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

hydogen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydogen?

any one try a hydrogen kit on your 24 valve something im kinda interested in i know how to make a canister i just want some reall live storys wont be until i get a new intake thats drilled and tapped but wanna start thinkin now. if anyone has it already what kind of mpg increases are you seeing
Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you are talking about hoh converters they talked me into testing a couple of them. the test matched our calculations. an average of 0.06 mpg loss and you can not connect them to the intake horn
Old 04-17-2009, 07:29 AM

Nothing against you but I'd have to see that to believe it
Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do the math, if the cell draws 25 amps @ 12 volts = 300 watts at 762 watts per hp that is .4 hp add the alternator efficiency you get .492 hp required to convert. the amount of hydrogen produced is so small it only can produce about 0.002 hp at cruising speed or about .49 hp loss we had to parallel four of them and run them off of a external source and ran the truck on dyno with the fuel measured on digital scales the truck was set at 65 mph at 70 hp. the reason we had to use 4 paralleled and a external source when we tried one on the truck the loss was so small we could not see it good enough to get a good figure. another way to look at it perpetual motion devices do not work. another way to look at it the amount of fuel produced and injected into several hundred cubic feet of air is like urinating in a lake to raise the level. do not feel to bad your not the first one to get suckered into this and you won't be the last
Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

that was good information. sounds like you tested it to the limit. in the end snake oil is still snake oil. i'm sure bigbc1 will let us know how his works when he gets it.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:56 PM

HHO gas

Have played with HHO gas generators for my 2001 3/4 4x4 with EDGE mileage chip and Aero intake full 120 Gal. Aux tank, winch & bumper and canopy.
With a 12 plate drycell it's pulling 18 AMP. and my mileage went from 20 MPG to 24 MPG @ 60 MPH with 315x16 tires and 3.54 final gears.

At 55 see highway mileage creeping up to 26 at times. At 65 MPH get around 22 MPG.
Dan
Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM

Daniel Temple, were do you inject the hydrogen?. I tried a generator that was supposed to produce around 1 liter a minute. I run the hose into the air box on the dirty side of the filter. On a 55 mile route at 70mph I got 19.8mpg with hydrogen and 19.8mpg with out hydrogen.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM

thank you daniel temple theres a post that makes some sense injecting more compustable fuel into the engine other then diesel is going to mean less diesel is needed and duner ill be happy to pm you when my test is all said and done
Old 04-18-2009, 05:44 PM

I can try to get some info from him but a guy I work with spent weeks building and tuning different styles of generators and came to the conclusion that they simply do not work. He put one on his VW Jetta diesel and it did not help. Then played with it on his wives van and the vans computer would compensate for the gas and make mileage worse.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:04 PM

You would be much better served to go with water injection or water/methonal. On HOH generators, it seems the ones that promote get much better fuel milage than the ones that buy/build. If that tells you anything. About eight months ago the hoax played out on this forum for over a hundred posts. JMHO of course.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 PM

yeah i just wanna try to totally pick this topic apart first of all new more effecient generators are being build and depending on carls testing date could have made a difference or just the canisters were ineffecient i like this idea its simple and easy i could do water meth and probably will but that does something totally different... how do some canister work and some dont how is carl seeing a decrease in mpg when daniel temple is seeing an increase
Old 04-19-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You ought to listen to Carl48. He has some pretty solid science in his post. You just don't get something for nothing. Breaking molecular bonds is not easy and is VERY seldom profitable.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:19 AM

HHO Gas units.

I tried three brands of the type built with ABS plastic and wet plates in 4" pipe. ( left the mason glass jars for the moonshiners)
I've followed the HHO gas experimenting for three years and read and watched the many u-tube videos on various designs and efforts with square wave pulse generators, etc.
Tried the various wetting agents from white vinegar to potassium hydroxide, etc.
Seems most thruck guys over-do the additives and overheat the units and boil out the water. On gas rigs it's real had to override the smog controls but with my Dodge diesel it's easy.
I drilled the stock air box and installed a 3/4" to 3/8" barbed fitting in the top near the air filter gage installation.
Mounted the wet plate 4"x14" ABS canister on the back of the radiator reservoir
with relay controlling a 30 AMP. fused battery connection. Always the unit would overheat on longer drives of over 60 miles and used too much of the treated water actually probably boiling out or blowing the 30 AMP. fuse..
With the 12 plate dry cell unit the reservoir is separate above the dry cell and keeps cool and only pulls 15 to 18 AMPS. with about 1/2" teaspoon of the sodium hydroxide.
The mileage improvement improves over a few days and only if you cruise close the max. torque min. fuel rpm which for my bigger tires and 3:55 final gears and locked up TC is about 1600 RPM. Just lopping along on torque.
If I move out to where the throttle is wider open the improvements drop off as the air fuel mix of the HHO gas is leaned out too much.
It's the added actual gas of the hydrogen mixed with the atomized fuel droplets that creates the better burn and mileage. You won't see the saving driving at 2200 RPM as the average HHO gas generator does not produce enough gas to help when the throttle is wider open.
My HHO gas generator unit puts out about 2 liters per minute.
If the systems didn't work the truckers wouldn't be leasing commercial systems for $ 350.00 per month. You can run your 18 wheeler through Windover NV. and get a commercial Canadian system installed. Last summer the units were saving the long haulers $ 500.00 to $ 1,000.00 per month justifying the $ 350.00 per month leave payment.( think they're using the Hughes Tool business plan of no sales only leasing)
Unless you can produce a lot more HHO gas you will only see the improvement while cruising at max torque and minimum throttle which for me is about 60 MPH & 1600 RPM (unadjusted speedometer with 315x75 tires and 3:55 finals) which really is 10% off or about 66 MPH. At that speed and cruising down the highway (not cresting the Rockies) I get 22 to 24 MPG and if I slow to about 60 MPH actual I get 24 to 26 MPH.
There is one other factor. I fully Microlon America treated the full drive train which gave me 2 MPH alone. ( Microlon is an FAA approved one time metal treatment that really works or the FAA wouldn't allow it in small plane engines. It won some sort of European engineering award. Got my 36' diesel pusher motor home up the 16 MPG with Microlon America, a few air flow improvements and cruising at a reasonable RPM of around 1600 to 1700 which equals about 64 MPH)
Your not running on hydrogen only supplementing it in the air fuel mix as a real gaseous fuel that changes the fuel burn event when in sufficient ratios. It would be very impractical to produce enough HHO gas for a 5.9 Cummins running at even 1/2 throttle. It's for cruising for mileage not black smoke burn-outs.
1,500 RPM with 5.9 liter engine divided by 4 ( four stroke engine ) and you get 2,212 liters per minute if at full volumetric efficiency. Adding 2 liters per minute of HHO gas to that is like pissing into the ocean except at low throttle settings where the added HHO gas can affect the fuel burn as an actual gas in the cylinder not just atomized fuel particles.
Also most of the brands of HHO gas generators I tried were built wrong as the science developed. They have that worked out pretty much now.
They have a HHO gas fired furnace for homes, HHO gas cutting torches and HHO gas Honda generator that starts and runs on HHO gas. It works if used right and it's limitations understood.
Now that I've found a system that is reliable I'm putting two on my 8.3 Cummings in the 36' motorhome to see what they will do there.
Daniel
Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny T, I call BS.

BigBC1 - you want to hang your hat on a guy with 2 posts and looks to want to sell something go ahead.

As mentioned Snake oil is still Snake oil.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Danny T, I call BS.

BigBC1 - you want to hang your hat on a guy with 2 posts and looks to want to sell something go ahead.

As mentioned Snake oil is still Snake oil.
does 2 posts make a person not believable??
i can say the same about somebody with 859