24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How long have you left your rig IDLING???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was driving from california to north carolina and i had my tire blow in the rear on a long back country road and i couldnt get any light to see what i could do to change the tire and it was really cold outside like 20-30 degrees so i left the truck idling for 9 1/2 hours while i slept with the heat on inside the truck....
Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 PM

I've started it up on a Friday, ran up to northern Ontario to get a Fema camper, and left it running til I got back to KY on Sunday. It was so cold -20F, we just slept all night in the cab.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:39 PM

coupel of hours. kept it at a higher idle.

usually i'll jam my snowbrush in between the seat and the throttle to keep the idle up.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 PM

ill flip my high idle switch up to 1200 and leave it for a couple hours when its cold....temp stays right at 190 just as if i was driving the whole time..
Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ironstone
I let mine warm up for 30 minutes everyday before i get in it. Thats how long it takes to get it to operating temp. Is this too long? Anyone think carbon is building up doing this? By the way what is good to use to clean carbon out? Propane, water, ATF?
Originally Posted by BigBRUNO4
How long are you supposed to let it idle in warm and cold temps? When it's warm outside, I wait to drive her until my oil pressure comes up and the needle stops moving. Then I go easy on her for the first five minutes? is this necessary or am I just wasting time??
This is a great informative article.
http://busbuilding.com/bus-conversio...etroit-diesel/
Old 02-22-2008, 01:58 PM

My buddy was just telling me about a thread on dieselplace were a guy had a truck with something like only 40k miles but had over 10k hours on the engine. He'd leave his truck idling for a week at a time while he was down in the mines.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by IA_James
I left my 6.2 Chevy idle for about 4 hours once, worried about it starting back up. Not sure why, it would start at -30 not plugged in.
At work we had a standard policy where we were not allowed to shut our old 6.2 GM's down if the temperature was -35°C or below. They often wouldn't start even when plugged in, and the company got tired of all the starting problems. And we often went for over 2 months in those temps. Those trucks routinely made 500,000km before replacement, and some are still going strong today.

My own 6.2 I once idled for 5 days when I was waylaid in a huge blizzard in Kansas and couldn't find an outside outlet in the entire town to plug it in.

My current Dodge, I've only owned less than a year, but the longest for me was around an hour at 1200rpm when it was -44°C. Even after that, it still took over 100 miles at highway speed before the engine temp gauge even moved off cold, and another 100 miles before it was warm enough in the cab to take my gloves off.

I'll be springing for an Espar as soon as I can afford it.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 AM

The issue with extended idling is fuel build up in what is know as dead space in the cylinder. It is the space on top of the first ring between the piston and the liner (in your case the cylinder wall). At an idle injection pressures are low and the fuel does not atomize very well. This is even worse with the larger injectors some of you are running. So if you are gonna idle kick it up on high and make it spray a little harder. Just got done with an overhaul class put on by a former Detroit Diesel engineer and he showed us several varnished liners from guys sleeping in their trucks and letting them run all night. He claims that anything over 5 min is actually doing damage to you engine.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 AM

so after reading the thread and the linked article, am have come to 2 conclusions....
1. If you are going to be idling, the general school of thought is that you must keep the motor at operational temps to keep the fuel burning properly
and
2. the best ways to do this are high idle or an engine brake

Did I read this correctly?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Yep. Thats the ticket. 1000 to 1200 rpms will usually keep enough turbulance in the combustion chamber for a complete burn and enough engine temp to keep the oil from varnishing on the valve stems. The 5.9 is a real diesel. the only diff between it and a 855 is the fact that the 5.9 is not wet sleeved. This was done to make the block more rigid.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM

My worktruck runs 12-14 hrs everyday without turning off. It really doesn't like starting in cold weather for some reason.(04/5600)
But my personal truck runs and starts like a champ, longest it'll run is 15-30 mins.(99/47re)

But some of our generators we have that have cummins and waukeshas and cat's on em run all year long. They usually get shut down just long enough for valve adjustment and oil/filter change.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Just curious when i start my truck i put the transfer in neutral and put the tranny into 1st or 2nd so that it is turning over. My idea behind this is it is starting to warm up the tranny and get the fluids moving. Opinions?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:49 AM

Well I Work in the oilfield Contract pumper as they call it. I start My morning at 4:30 truck is on while I get ready to go I usually get home around 5. I would have to say 6 am till 4 pm 7 days a week rain sun or shine, it is sitting here at idle, been doin this for 4 yrs in the same truck no problems what so ever. Just hope it stays that way.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Chapter President

For Those With An Auto....

do you warm up in P, N, or....?

THis past week I've been letting the truck warm up with the parking brake set firm and in drive. It seems to load the engine a little and warm up rather than just idle.....

I need a new trans soon, but is this bad for the trans? If so, I'll stop when I get a new one.

Thanks....

P.S. longest ive idled is about 1 hour....at Idle (750)
Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 AM

i had mine run for 4 days during when i use to clear drive ways in the winter it was so cold that when u left it on idel the heat goes down to 1/4 lol so high idel was needed. but most weekends i go to my home hour for the weekend or a night i dont uselly turn it off i drive up friday night go to party and pass out in the truck just in case some one does something to me while im passed out lol so i in my truck doors looked and heat on lol come sat afternoon back is sore lol floor is hard and all the rumbleing from the motor lol but probly once a month the truck runs for over 24hours in one shot lol

Quick Reply: How long have you left your rig IDLING???