24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How I corrected my loss of prime and hard start condition

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How I corrected my loss of prime and hard start condition

As promised, here is the corrective action to my hard start loss of prime trouble.

Turned out to be a bad VP44. The start sequence on the VP44 computer was fubar. Chip from Bluechip Diesel was a tremendous help in correctly troubleshooting the injection pump via phone. Ordered a pump from Chip and replaced it and and a few other items myself at a leisurely pace over a 4 day period.

The pump that failed was the 3rd replacement pump since truck was new, it lasted 2 1/2 years and about 41,000 miles. Apparently all my fuel mods didn't help much with this particular problem. Truck currently has 152,135 miles. After removing the bad pump, inspection revealed the key had been squashed and partially sheared at the time of installation. If ya want it done right, do it yourself!!!

My truck now runs like a scalded ape, can't believe the difference. Now I know and remember how the Cummins is suppose to run....

Mike
Old 05-16-2007, 08:49 PM

Thanks Mike for the update but could you maybe recap your problems for us maybe experiencing the same thing.

I'm having hard starts. Well not really hard but it doesn't start on the first try, 2nd or 3rd and it's off. Power seems low compared to when I bought it even with an EZ now. Dyno (emissions required ever year) are telling me I've lost 30 HP in 2 years, never dyno'd with the EZ. FP is wacko, I have a walbro in the garage getting installed this weekend but still worried about the IP.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Exclamation Hope this helps someone

Not a problem, my symptoms,troubleshooting and possible corrective actions started about 6 weeks ago. I will list them in order as follows:

1. I noticed the truck was cranking longer than usual to start, so I replaced my original batteries ( 5 1/2 years old ) this did not help.

2. I had good fuel pressure,so I thought maybe I had a fuel volume issue. Changed my fuel filter, fingers crossed....nope, did not help.

3. Five mornings in a row I have had to crack two injector lines and watch air?& fuel dribble from the lines while the wife turned the truck over, finally it would start.

4. Still thinking it may be a fuel volume problem, I drained and dropped the fuel tank for inspection. Surprisingly the tank was pretty clean. The fuel pickup screen on the cannister was a gooey slimy mess...I ordered and installed a Vulcan Draw Straw..(told the wife It was necessary) please let this fix the problem!!

5. Sure enough, just my luck... did not help. I'm cursed. Installed a new overflow valve on Vp44, no help..

6. Another week goes by, still having trouble starting truck in the morning after setting overnight, wife is a trooper; still helps every morning. I tried the nose pointing up and down while parked method ...no help! Checked for codes...no codes!

7. So, after much perusing and gleaning of posts on this site and others I started checking for fuel/air leaks...could not find any. So maybe the fuel was draining back through my Vp 44 return line like some of the other owners have experienced or past my Rasp pressure regulator....

8. Parked the truck, started driving wifes car. I ordered and installed (5days have passed) 1 psi crack check valves on both lines (Vp44 return & Rasp press reg), I installed a clear diesel rated fuel line between fuel filter and Vp44 with 2 loops to check for air bubbles fingers crossed again.... finally got it started drove it to town and back home...

A couple hours later I popped the hood, no air bubbles in the clear line...this is good!!! tried to start the truck, wouldn't start; after cranking until the batteries almost died it started. Shut it off and immediately tried to start the truck again...no start. Just for kicks I checked for codes again... nope no codes! 4 more day have passed and I haven't been able to get the truck started.

9. Friday morning over a cup of java, thinking I'm done; don't know what else to do. I decide to call Bluechip diesel. In retrospect I should have called Chip 4 weeks earlier...would have saved me a lot of time and money.

After discussing my symptoms, my failed troubleshooting and the new parts I installed, Chip advised me to disconnect the grid heaters, give it a shot of ether and try to start it then call him back....it fired right up and ran normal.

I called Chip back...Bad Vp44!!!!!!!!!! Installed new Vp44 all is well......

Hope this history of my troubles helps someone......

Just a suggestion....I think it would be a great help to everyone using this site if members would post a follow up on how the troubles with their truck were fixed...I read a lot of posts about problems but very few about the corrective action..

Mike
Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this should go into the sticky!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 PM

i think i may be in the same boat. And i just bought the truck 3 weeks ago from a dodge dealer for a really good price. Actually went 2000 miles on a trip with no problems at all and great mileage pulling a camper. Now when i let it sit it takes awhile to start her up.