24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How can you drive with a straight piped truck????

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:How can you drive with a straight piped truck????

It's real easy I open the door get in , push in the clutch and turn the key. ;D And love every minute of it
Old 10-23-2002, 09:19 PM
FDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea Ed ,just DO IT MAN.I could even help you install some 5" stacks ;D...Doug
Old 10-23-2002, 10:11 PM

Ok, now even I am getting a little skeptical of taking the muffler and resonator off. I love loud exhaust but from the sounds of it maybe I should reconsider? I love the sound of a Harley with straight pipes on it so is the cummins louder than a harley? My previous truck was a "little mans truck" ;D ;D It was a 99 dodge with a 360 with straight duals on it. I loved the sound of that truck. Could hear it coming for several blocks. How much louder is the cummins with a straight pipe compared to a 360 with straight duals or a straight Harley?
I had a 74 sportster and loved that bike, can still hear that baby singing along at 140 MPH!! ( with eyelids folded back due to the wind! ) (younger years)

Keith
Old 10-23-2002, 10:31 PM
Administrator

IMHO, The straight piped Cummins is a bit deeper or throatier than the comparable Harley.

I loved the sound of my '74 F250 with dual glasspacks.
I think the Cummins is a bit deeper than that as well.

Not really louder, per se, than either.

Think of a Semi or Dump Truck and you'll be closer to the sound.

Best thing to do is find someone with straight pipe near you and arrange for a "test listen".

phox
Old 10-23-2002, 11:12 PM

Well he!!'s bells, if that is all the louder it is I dont see any reason to NOT take it all off!! ;D <br>I love the sound of a straight Harley! I also love the sound of the older fords with straight pipes. I had a 74 ford 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive, 4 speed, 390 block bored .040 with a 360 crank and a radical cam and heavy valve springs that sounded OHHH SO GOOD!! Had straight pipes on it with headers. Oh man that brings back some memories!! <br>I took that truck to heII and back!! It sounded so nice!! (at least to me,, local cops didnt seem to agree,,,) ??? ???<br><br>Im thinking that it is time to lose the resonator and muffler if that is all the louder it is. Im getting old but not that dang old!! I want to hear that baby talk to me!! Might torque the wife off but she will get over it! ;D <br><br>Keith
Old 10-24-2002, 06:40 AM

Wheels ;<br>Go for you wont regret it.<br>Mama might but as mine she'll learn to love it.<br> <br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 10-24-2002, 07:02 AM

I would liken the sound to an older dump truck w/ straight pipes coming down a hill and using the Jake brake to slow down. That sound is what your truck will make any time you are accelerating... I admire you guys who drive around like that all the time and don't care. Just a bit too much for me....
Old 10-24-2002, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must have a darn good wife,,,, she likes the sound of my 79 slightly modified Sporty, with the short straight turn-outs better than my Electra Glide dresser with the straight thru muffs. And when I removed the muff &amp; resonator on the truck,,,,, all she said was &quot;Gee,,, I thought it would be louder&quot; !! ;D ;D
Old 10-24-2002, 12:01 PM

i love my girlfriend. the GLTDR boys love hertoo, but that's another story. <br><br>anyways, coolest thig she ever said about my truck(which she loves) was the &quot;test&quot; ride home from getting the muffler and resanator taken off. we were slowing down from 50mph, and i was down shifting the auto, windows were open and she goes, &quot;It sounds like a jet plane!&quot; i just about threw the truck in park and did cart wheels in the road, and ALMOST asked her to marry me!!!! ;D <br><br>Andrew
Old 10-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Banned

I've had a bunch of compliments on the way mine sounds. Mostly, &quot;GD!! That's loud!!!&quot; And everytime they say that, I just sit back, ;D, and say thank you. All the girls at school know me by the exhaust and the sticker on the back of my truck. A lot of them like it.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks to &quot;bulthisl&quot;, RATTLINRAM, BriarHopper, dieseldude,<br>Chris and the entire &quot;Black Mountain Diesel Crew&quot; I am<br>now a member of the &quot;straight piped club&quot; too!! ;D<br><br>Is is loud??? OH YEAH!! But,.....I love it!!<br>You can still hear my turbo spooling over the<br>exhaust sound though!! Not unlike a &quot;737&quot;<br>taxxing down the runway!! All the guys above<br>will vouch for that!!<br><br>Thanks guys!<br><br>---------<br>John_P
Old 10-24-2002, 04:10 PM
Administrator

John &quot;Tomcat&quot; Porterfield. ;D
Old 10-24-2002, 05:12 PM
Banned

Hey Jack, have you ever thought about a movie section or sound section? A place where we could post movies or sound clips of different trucks and stuff.