24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How can you drive with a straight piped truck????

Old 10-22-2002, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:How can you drive with a straight piped truck????

How do I drive my truck with a straight pipe? Windows down and right foot planted, Big grin on my face. I love making the snobs in West L A roll up their windows so that the can talk on their cell phones.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like TGBOL says, windows down hammer right with it. Got two four inch stacks that stick up about a foot above the cab and love it. You want to talk noise or sweet sound I should say, hop in the back while I'm pullin 21000 pounds up over Afton Mountain. <br>I grew up around straight pipe B61 Macks though so fell in love with the sound then when I was knee high to a grass hopper. I remember looking in the mirror on my dads truck at night when it was pullin hard and seeing about three inches of fire coming out the stack, that's when you knew she was running right and giving everything she had.<br>I left the res on mine after I cut off the muffin and it had a real good tone to it then, not too loud but definately more noise than stock. You may try that before you get an expensive muffin on there.<br>Good luck.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:51 AM

CR1998, I cut the resonator and muffler both off since it was real easy getting some 3&quot; pipe and flex pipe to fill the gap from the exhaust pipe to the tailpipe. The resonator must make a huge difference, listening to most of you guys, because it is really loud with just the straight pipe. I like a loud vehicle too, but I am just not sure I could have listened to that everyday.... And as most of you are saying, it's not that bad when you are cruising but put the hammer down and just wait for the car alarms to go off...
Old 10-22-2002, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Cool, I almost forgot about the car alarm part. My old gray one would set them off all the time.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:24 AM
Banned

If it's to loud, your to old. I LOVE my straight piped truck. It sounds sweet and I would never even consider putting the muffler back on.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:54 PM

[quote author=Dodgezilla link=board=4;threadid=6105;start=15#55885 date=1035287492]<br>And as most of you are saying, it's not that bad when you are cruising but put the hammer down and just wait for the car alarms to go off...<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for reminding me of the best part!!! ;D 8) :-*
Old 10-22-2002, 05:48 PM

Gosh I love mine,it don't seem loud at all,my wife don't even mind it.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:02 PM
Banned

[quote author=Dodgezilla link=board=4;threadid=6105;start=0#55548 date=1035213955]<br>If I was living out in the sticks somewhere, I might have left it but I live in a quiet neighborhood for now and I am sure I would pi$$ some people off, not to mention wake my baby up when I left for work. It is a little louder without the tailpipe on but I still want just a little more sound..<br>[/quote]<br><br>Let me see, I live in a very nice neighborhood. Everyone has a lawn crew (we do our own lawn), most people drive cute little sports cars or something (BMW's, mercedes, toyotas, things like that), most have someone change their own oil (do all of mine except Vette), you get the picture? So far, in my driveway, we have installed two nitrous kits, swapped in lowering springs, ripped off my exhaust and put on my current one, rotated tires, changed brakes pads on 2 different cars. So personally, I don't really care about wher I live. It's my house and I'll do it. There is no law donw here against a straight piped diesel, and if they complain since I don't have a tail pipe, my exhaust is dumped OVER my rear axle which is how you are legally supposed to do it in Texas on a pickup. I actually ripped my exhaust off and put in straight pipe to TRY and run some of my neighbors out.<br><br>On the other hand, my truck sounds a lot faster than it is going, so I have had the cops called on me for &quot;speeding&quot; through my neighborhood even though I was only doing 20. So everytime I go by that neighbor (I know who called it in) I set the truck at 20mph, and drop it in 1st gear and let that thing sing. You should see the look on his face. ;D
Old 10-23-2002, 08:26 AM

Straight Piped ;D ;D ;D<br>Thats the only way for me.<br>I respect the opinion of others. ( as long as they are the same as mine ) :<br>Mine is 4 in straight front to back ( the stainless steel has a different ring than aluminized ) And when I'm pulling a load 20-25,000 it sounds great <br>Everyone knows who's coming<br>The neighbors say they use my truck as an alarm clock. <br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 10-23-2002, 08:50 AM

Mine is straight piped with the stock diameter. Sounds sweeeet. Especially when I go through an excavated underpass ;D. <br><br>When I get the money, I will be firing up a 4&quot; straight pipe. <br><br>I roll down the windows just to hear it. Also, I live 800ft from the road, and my kids are on the porch before I get through the gate!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:54 AM

ALRIGHT!! ALRIGHT ALREADY!! I get the point! You guys really like the straight piped sound.. I kept the pipe just in case I want to put it back on. I would almost consider cutting the muffler off of the resonator but if I don't like that sound then I'm screwed because I'm trying not to spend any more money on this project. I would still have to get some 4&quot; pipe to run back from the resonator also.. Man it just never ends.... [undecided]
Old 10-23-2002, 03:57 PM

.. Man it just never ends.... <br><br>I thought that was the good part.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=ironman link=board=4;threadid=6105;start=15#56539 date=1035406675]
.. Man it just never ends....

I thought that was the good part.
[/quote]

Welcome to &quot;BOMBsville&quot; population....you.

Still, I like the idea of the &quot;straight shooter&quot; but .........
Old 10-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Administrator

I took my muffler off, but left the resonator on. I like the sound, and I haven't had any complaints yet. The wife doesn't really care one way or the other. She thinks I'm a dork anyway.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted by: Shovelhead<br>Still, I like the idea of the &quot;straight shooter&quot; but .........
,,,,, Come on Ed,,,,, Just Do It !! ;D<br><br>
Posted by: Jack Thorpe<br>She thinks I'm a dork anyway.
,,,,, Man Jack,,, I can't believe you left yourself open like that! :

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How can you drive with a straight piped truck????