24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help, wont start

Driving my truck the other day,its a 99 freightliner with a 5.9 215 hp, it died 3 times each time after hitting a bump in the road, was able to pullover each time and after a few tries get it to fire up. The last time it happened on that day it wouldnt start so I smacked th LP with my flashlight and it fired right up. Ahaa bad LP. Changed that worked great end of the day hit a railroad track now it wont start at all. So far I can tell that theres no power getting to the LP. Hot wired it and the pump runs fine but truck still wont start and pump has lots of pressure. bled the lines got fuel to the injector lines with the hot wired LP but still no start. I have swapped as many relays and circuit breakers as I can find so dont think that is the problem. Next step I figure is to find a code reader for my freightliner and see if that tells me something.
If anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-04-2004, 10:08 PM

well I think when you hit the LP , you also hit the OEM plug that is located right next to the LP, you will see a round plug connected to each other there , I believe the center wire on that plug is the key on and off wire from the ignition that goes to the ECM , without a wiring diaghram I cant tell you exactly , but I would check the center wire on that plug and with key on it should have 12 volts , put a VOM meter on there and check it , you can also hook up a 12volt supply to it and run it and see if your problem goes away , but to shut it off you will have to disconnect the 12v. supply .
Old 06-06-2004, 05:27 PM

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that could verify which wire is the 12v supply for the ecm on the round connection by th LP. I checked the center wire and its not getting any voltage but dont want to hot wire the ecm without being sure its the right wire.

Thanks,
Jeff Ketcheside