24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help please - throttle not working right - not VP44 problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help please - throttle not working right - not VP44 problem

O.K. guys, on my way to work today truck began iradically accellerating/decellerating independantly of the gas pedal position (that was exciting - especially the accelleration part). Within about a mile, the check engine light came on, but all my vitals (oil press, etc) looked o.k. yet so I kept going. Finally got bad enough to send it into limp in mode, and had to park it in a local HS parking lot.

Codes read:
PCU 1693
ECU 0606, 0121, 0234 & 1488 (flashed in that order)

I know what they translate to, and I suspect the APPS sensor has gone bad. But I am concerned about some of the other codes that seem like they could be indicating a bad ECM. I replaced tranny last weekend and am also wondering if I accidently bumped/loosened anything related (ECM ground?) while working on that.

Tried disconnecting the batteries and ECM plug into fuse panel (under hood), then reconnected and started truck again. Seemed o.k. at first, but quickly started doing the same thing and ended up back in limp in mode. At least now it's here at work, but definitely need to get it fixed quick!

Any suggestions are appreciated. If it is the APPS, I've read that there is a Cummins equivalent part that beats the he!! out of the stock Dodge sensor. Also looking for any comments on this option.

Many thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
contact Timbo for an aftermarket apps I have used them and they work great as for the other problem befor you condem the ECM check every connection /ground .look at the main wire harness that goes down the front drivers side of the engine you might have a rubbed or broken wire, also do you know anyone who has the same truck...year model auto?
if so try and swap the ECMs only takes 20 min. to do . its a fast easy test thats why I have a spare for that reason.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the advice Rebel. I'll check all the ECM wires to see if I can find anything loose, broken, etc. Didn't think I was near it during the tranny swap, but maybe could have disturbed something. Unfortunately, no friends with an available ECM to swap out & try - maybe I'll just try the new APPS and hope for the best. I have 176k miles on the old beast now and I know these sensors don't last forever. Just thought I'd get more warning than a couple of miles...

Any knowledge of the Cummins APPS alternative?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Oops - wrong spelling Rebal. No offense my friend. Should have looked closer before I typed.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Timbo is a member hear on DTR just type in Timbo apps and you will get all the info you need and some good reading too I have them in two truck they work great and easy to install too,
Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM

Already downloaded a pile of papers on Timbo's APPS. Sure sounds like a lot better deal than OE. Some time ago I also heard of a factory Cummins (not Mopar) APPS that could be made to work as well - and was much less expensive. Just curious if anyone else had also heard of that option.

Thanks again Rebal.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rebal
contact Timbo for an aftermarket apps I have used them and they work great as for the other problem befor you condem the ECM check every connection /ground .look at the main wire harness that goes down the front drivers side of the engine you might have a rubbed or broken wire, also do you know anyone who has the same truck...year model auto?
if so try and swap the ECMs only takes 20 min. to do . its a fast easy test thats why I have a spare for that reason.
He is spot on.